Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Preventing oxidation under translucent cabs.  (Read 3908 times)

olgguy

Preventing oxidation under translucent cabs.
« on: July 23, 2016, 01:52:35 PM »

"WILLOWY" posted a question in photography that made me go looking for a special tape I used in the late 50's or early 60's. I didn't use it for cabs until the mid 80's. I can't believe it was still in my inventory. And more than that it is still good. I must say 3 M makes good products. Label reads "Scotch Brand Tapes" Tape #850, PAU14L7C2A4. This tape is a pressure sensitive MIRROR MYLAR FILM 3/4" wide X .002" thick. I put this tape in the bottom of Silver bezels when setting Montana agate or Amber and Rutilated Quartz. Because over time the Silver will oxidize and show thru the stone. An added advantage is the tape reflects light an improves the brightness of the stone.

gemfeller

• Art Cut Gems
Re: Preventing oxidation under translucent cabs.
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2016, 10:45:56 PM »

That's a great idea but there's another cheaper -- but maybe more fattening -- option.  When I need a foilback for a cab in a closed-back setting I buy a bag of potato chips and use cut-outs from the shiny inside of the bag. It doesn't wrinkle like most aluminum foil, and is much sturdier.  And if you're watching calories, a single bag will make dozens of foilbacks. 

womanwithatorch

• womanwithatorch.com
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2016, 09:52:24 AM »

When setting translucent cabs, I've shined up the inside of the bezel cup, then coated it with Renaissance wax before setting the stone. I don't know how it holds up with time. Guess I need to make something for myself to find out!
"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I might learn how to do it." Pablo Picasso

olgguy

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2016, 11:23:53 AM »

It is always good to make something for yourself or family and friends. A lot of my work ends up that way even if it didn't start out that way.

olgguy

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2016, 11:35:07 AM »

Just received an E mail from "H I S Glassworks" a product for preserving sandblasted surfaces called "Liquid Lust'er" . Maybe it will work on Silver inside and out. I have a line of sandblasted earrings that it might benefit.

www.hisglassworks.com

Jhon P

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2016, 03:16:36 PM »

I have used a piece of silver Mylar and cut a piece to fit the
Bezel and dropped in behind the stone. It seams to work fine. It's what I had.

olgguy

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2016, 04:49:34 PM »

I am glad it worked. Seems to me there are probably other colors of Mylar these days even rainbow, with the right stone that would be interesting.

TRG

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2017, 07:34:35 AM »

Neat alternate with the tape.  Another option is to drill a hole, take a hand saw and cut out the back leaving only a small rim so light can pass through the stone. You can also cut out a design so it shows through.

tkcaz

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2017, 08:04:21 AM »

Gemfeller, your idea is the best thing I've heard all week. I can now eat my snacks guilt-free, as I need the bags for a good cause! (I wonder if that makes them a tax deduction as well?)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 44 queries.