Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Washington Mystery  (Read 1878 times)

Michael

Washington Mystery
« on: September 26, 2018, 02:25:40 PM »

https://www.flickr.com/photos/120709658@N08/31059707698/in/dateposted-public/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/120709658@N08/29996324677/in/dateposted-public/

I purchased this stone at a rock club this summer.  I cannot identify it, and every rock hound I come across here in WA is either stumped or has some different idea.  It is green, infused with either copper, pyrite, etc.

I normally live in AZ so my experience here is limited.  The stone is green.  I am almost positive that it is not jade, as it has no fiber that I can see.  It is high silicate, so I shall slab off a piece later with my bigger saw in AZ and see how it polishes.  I went through as many rock reference books tailored to WA as I could.  Nothing close.  Any help or any opinion would be sincerely appreciated.  My photo skills and transferring to forums are limited.  Thanks to all!!!

Regards, Mike

Kaljaia

Re: Washington Mystery
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2018, 03:36:21 PM »

The photos are a little blurry, but maybe serpentine? There's a Washington serpentine that ranges from the more yellowish-green to a vibrant forest green to turquoise, faintly translucent and sometimes with metallic inclusions. How hard is it?
- Erika

I rock hunt in the Antelope/Ashwood area of the John Day river basin in Oregon.

Gergis

• Global Moderator
  • "I MILK MY ROCKS"
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2018, 08:34:22 AM »

Looks just like some serpentine I cut last week from the Wenatchee river near my place..

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk

Michael

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2018, 02:24:23 PM »

Thanks everyone.  I do not know why I did not think of Serpentine.  We have some in AZ as well, but not like this specimen.  It is an extremely hard, high silicate stone.  It came from an estate sale, and the Rock Club guys were calling it a form of jade with metallic inclusions.  I never heard of that.  I am not good with photos, so I need to take the tutorial on this forum for better results.  Thanks to all of you again!

Mike

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2018, 11:35:57 AM »

Most Washington north sound serps are atypical being 4 to 6 on the mohs scale.

Rustycat

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2018, 05:17:23 PM »

More beach rocks (pretty soon I'll run out of variety), but in the meantime,  here's a rock that I've seen identified as black jade with magnetite crystals, which I doubt, so anyone that wants to chime in and give an experienced opinion...well, it would be most appreciated.

Rustycat

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2018, 05:23:22 PM »

And, since I haven't figured out how to successfully attach two or more photos to a post, here's another similar rock--but not nearly as hard nor black and the crystals appear to be feldspar, which I've seen folks up on Vancouver Island call such rocks "Chinese writing rocks"

Rustycat

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2018, 07:59:44 AM »

Well, just wanted to add a link for jade reference.  It seems to be the most comprehensive I've found, and is visually rich with lots of jpegs.   
http://www.albertjoseph.com/veneratedlapdog/category/reference/

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2018, 08:12:47 AM »

These are diorites with feldspar crystals.The only jade with magnetite comes from a deposit by Mt.Palomar in California..

Rustycat

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2018, 08:52:48 AM »

lithic,
Thank you for your comment.  I must admit I'm confused on the classification of diorite for both specimens.  The cursory research on diorite indicates it is coarse-grained, which fits the greenish piece, but the black is not coarse-grained, and, again not knowing much of anything, it would seem to better fit the definition of porphyry.  Guess I'll spend a lot more time trying to get a very modest understanding of igneous classifications. 

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2018, 09:55:32 AM »

It is sort of like people in Costa Rica. Black and white do not begin to describe the populace because of mixing.Intergrades in rocks are the norm with most mafic rocks being  a mix of metamorphic grades.Retrograde metamorphism pretty much describes any Washington rock that has been  subducted then obducted. Generally it would be considered a porphry.

lapidaryrough

• www.lapidaryrough.com
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2018, 04:26:17 PM »

Silicate life form

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2018, 06:43:06 PM »

Rustcat- to attach more pictures, just click the more attachments link below the browse button after you attach the first one.
Robin

Rustycat

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2018, 09:03:41 AM »

lithic,
Thank you for your comments,  they are more appreciated than you know.  Life is funny, here I am facing the last years of my life and taking up a serious interest in rocks, minerals, and lapidary.  These were all things I was fascinated with as a child, and why I put them aside is something I don't have an answer for, but I'm glad I now have the time, interest and location to renew my fascination with these things.  Of course, the internet and resources available (like here) are marvelous.  I would guess you are aware of Nick Zentner's Washington geology videos on Youtube, which I have managed to watch and rewatch periodically--trying to absorb so much new info.

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2018, 07:09:12 PM »

If your ever coming to whidbey give me a holler.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 56 queries.