Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: reviving 24" Frantom saw  (Read 3027 times)

robirdman

Re: reviving 24" Frantom saw
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2019, 07:23:37 AM »

But that is the configuration before when it worked.  All I did was disconnect the wires momentarily and pass the entire cord through the bottom of the box.  Green still went to the screw.  I thought it strange, that black was going to white, and white to 3 others, but a comparison of the motor box on page 1 before doing this should show the same arrangement.  As I then connected the cord from the motor to a wire with a plug, B-B, W-W, G-G, bypassing any switch, and got the smoke the problem is now solely in the motor and after all the progress, now it seems I will have to take it out to have looked at by a repair shop.

robirdman

Re: reviving 24" Frantom saw
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2019, 02:01:23 PM »

I think I must just look like a sucker.  I took the motor to Prompt Electric Friday.  Said the mechanic wasn't in but it would probably be $50, rate is $50/hour. I left it and I would be called back.  Missed the 3pm call, which was merely for me to call back, and I called Sat morning, and told the person who knew nothing to leave a message telling me what's wrong and the free estimate.  I was gone and missed 4 attempts to reach me, all which were just for me to call back.  So I called and someone said to call on Monday. So then was told that it was $80, the rate is $80/hour, and they replaced the wiring, put in a new capacitor and I can pick it up. But their credit card machine is down, and it's already 4pm, so I say I will do Tuesday.  I call early and ask someone if they fixed the credit card machine and she says she will call back.  3 hours later I call and am told yes and I go to pick up.  The motor was painted gray, saving me the trouble.  He said not to open the wire box and I said I wanted to see what they did.  So he obliges and I see that it is not new wiring but the same old wiring.  I think they were taped instead of capped but I forgot to take a shot. It looked the same as I wired it too. but they said the capacitor was a problem.  I say I was told the wiring was being replaced and he says. "What's the difference, look it runs, do you want it."  30 day warranty, I saw a replacement would be $164, but I agree and take it home, connect to the switch box again according to the diagram and get the saw running again.  Now the questions.  Do I have the belts on right?  The one is very floppy.  There is a spring loaded thing, but it barely reaches and popped off when I ran the saw.  Smaller belt is too loose and floppy.  I remember before I used a weight with rocks pulling down where the spring attaches to the nut, and that worked before but it is still too floppy, as in the blurry shot.  Also the gear mechanism seems to be leaking.  Pictures attached. I much appreciate the wiring help that worked great before till I screwed up.  Just testing running, no oil or attempt to cut anything yet.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 30 queries.