Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can this be saved?  (Read 1947 times)

Neural

• Opal Addict
Can this be saved?
« on: January 14, 2016, 12:30:24 PM »

Some of you may know the story with this stone.  It was among some rough that I got from Robin a long time ago.  It was cut back when I was new to opal, and frankly it may therefor be my own fault that it is cracked.

However, it has lots of fire play, and also shows the "Chinese Writing" fire pattern.  As such, it is a rather rare gem, cracked or not.

Is there any way in which it can be stabilized so I can finish cutting it?  Does anyone know of someone I can trust to do it right, if it is possible at all?

edit: for ref, it's 15mm on the longest side, and about 7mm thick
OpalOpalOpalOpalOpalOpalOpalOpalOpalOpalOpal

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
Re: Can this be saved?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2016, 04:23:32 PM »

Send it to me if you want and we'll see if we can't vacuum some Hxtal into the crack to seal it.  What the heck, it can't hurt!   :thumbsup:  Vince and I have a pile of stuff that we want to try to stabilize, so we can have a go at it.  I'll pm you our address if you want to send it.
Robin

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2016, 06:05:30 PM »

Send it to me if you want and we'll see if we can't vacuum some Hxtal into the crack to seal it.  What the heck, it can't hurt!   :thumbsup:  Vince and I have a pile of stuff that we want to try to stabilize, so we can have a go at it.  I'll pm you our address if you want to send it.

If you can thin it out with acetone or some other thinner, it will go into the crack better.
Windshield rock chip repair resin works also!
Then just set it in the sun or under a UV lamp to cure it.

I actually got one semi warm, not hot but really warm and used super glue once lol!

Neural

• Opal Addict
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2016, 04:01:34 PM »

We'll see what can be done.  I trust Robin to do her best on it.  It is, after all, from rough that she sent me many years ago.   My hope is that even with cracks, it will be stable enough to shape for a ring.  Cracks are a blemish on the overall appearance, but the "Chinese writing" fire is rare enough that this may be the only stone I ever cut that has it.  Besides, if I have it put into a ring, I clearly won't have to worry much about it cracking. LOL
OpalOpalOpalOpalOpalOpalOpalOpalOpalOpalOpal

ASO

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2017, 01:48:45 AM »

A Lapidary in Colorado specializes in all kinds of opal repair.  I cant think of his name or company but I have found him on google before.   
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 32 queries.