Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Where is the cheapest place to buy Specimen Inserts (boxes with cotten in them)?  (Read 1653 times)

kyanite_cutie

I am preparing for spring mineral shows and I was wondering if you guys had any advice on where to purchase mineral boxes, also know as inserts. They are white boxes with cotton in them. I was thinking if there is a place where I can buy the white boxes separate from the cotton maybe it would be cheaper?

rocks2dust

Prices depend on the sizes. Here are a few online sellers, but you can also just do a search on "fold up mineral boxes" and may find better prices:
1) Mineral & Fossil Supply
2) Shannon
3) Tucson

BTW, I personally don't like the cotton. It gets dirty quickly, the fibers get badly tangled in those specimens that have rough edges or needles, sometimes turns yellow, etc. IMO, the best wrapping material to keep specimens stable in their boxes (or when shipping) is ordinary plastic wrap (the thin stuff that is used to wrap dry cleaning does great) or thin tissue paper (the acid-free kind used to pad jewelry or in gift wrapping, which is best over the long term if the specimen is sensitive to acids from paper pulp or plastics).

Mark

I got some from Kingsley North.  Very nice, but not cheap.  I believe they have cheaper and better ones too.  There was also a company in CT that had quite a bit of that type of equipment, but can't remember the name..

Steve Ramsdell

riogrande.com   has about 8 pages of boxes.  You may find what you need there.
Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 30 queries.