Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: cutting metallic rocks  (Read 1652 times)

Ryaly2dogs

cutting metallic rocks
« on: October 22, 2017, 06:03:49 PM »

Apologize up front if this topic has been covered.  I did search using several key words but was unable to find a good discussion.  I have acquired some interesting ore rocks bearing cobalt, nickel, etc. that I'd like to cut into and play with a bit to see if cabs or jewelry items can be wrought from them.  Is using my trusty MK301 blade a good idea that will work well or would this plan have adverse effects on the blade? 
Appreciate your wisdom here.

Stonemon

Re: cutting metallic rocks
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 06:34:32 PM »

My experience with the ores are that they are mostly softer than the semi-precious agates, jasper's etc that we usually cut. I have never had an adverse condition occur from cutting these rocks and do not see any reason they would hurt your saw. Be aware that the metals you mentioned have their own toxic forms and be mindful of that.
As far as I know, no issue with the blade.....
Cobaltite and Garnierite?
Bill

Bill

Ryaly2dogs

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2017, 07:50:32 PM »

Appreciate your feedback.  Looks like we;'ll go ahead and saw into the babies then! Yes on the first guess, a dendritic cobaltite, quite dense and looking "meteoric", and also 3 nice chucks of what are now being called nickeline, with some dendites as well, used to be called nicolite according to the internet.  Both reportedly came out of Quartzite recently (and to me a la EBay) from an older Canadian collection.  A third is a block off what was called metallic "stag Jasper".  Each was different enough to pique my interest.  I am hopeful for some fun and adventurous lapidary with them.

I run a large fan crosscurrent where I work directed to the outside, and have plenty of water to wash the wheels; thanks for the safety reminder though.  Will need to wash up afterwards for sure.

Cheers.

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 08:03:14 PM »

I have cut some of the metallic ores and they are messy.  I do notice that it does dull the cutting on your blade so just remember to run a sharpening stone thru every now and then.  I have had very good luck cabbing Ilmenite which is a Titanium Iron.  The Titanium needles take a mirror polish against the more matte finish Iron and makes for some unique cabs.

Slabbercabber

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 04:46:57 AM »

The only metal I know of that will damage diamond is iron.  Other metals may be gummy enough to clog the abrasive so the advise of cutting a brick or abrasive stone is a good one.

Jhon P

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2017, 06:39:15 AM »

They cut metorites with diamond blades and water. I do not know how much wear the blade gets

lapidaryrough

• www.lapidaryrough.com
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2017, 07:05:12 PM »

You may cut agate  at   4 -  8  minutes to the inch, Try that on a meteorite,  I run at 2 hour to the INCH on a 16 HP Slab saw.

With any diamond blade, Though the last one was cut with a 297 .125 MK-blade.

I know, Looks funny hanging a 12'' pulley on a saws  screw feed.

Add Pine-sol to the water, For a wetting agent. about a pint, or white water.

As for most other metallic material, as said it well waste the kurf  of the blade in a 1/4 inch. 

like cutting rotten basalt ( Don't )  Moh-Scale 5.5 or better..... No Speeding. 8 Minutes to the inch.

Silicate life form

Amethyst Rose

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2017, 03:16:13 PM »

I have cut a lot of the first two materials, cobaltite and Nickeline.  No issues with a diamond blade other than being somewhat messy.  Material containing native copper it a real problem like the copper in quartz from Pennsylvania or copper fire brick.

Bob Johannes
The Amethyst Rose
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 39 queries.