Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Three Unknowns ~ Any input greatly appreciated  (Read 1032 times)

Cabbin Fever

• [My first cab!]
Three Unknowns ~ Any input greatly appreciated
« on: November 02, 2017, 01:45:47 PM »

:dontknow:
Bought these from a guy with a box of rocks...so I have no idea what they are or where they are from. I will be putting them up for sale in a craft fair and would love to give them a name! Thanks! (Gee, looking at that one photo, I really could use a manicure! cabbing is beastly on one's fingers!)

My first cab is from a piece of jasper I found on the beach in Newport, OR my first Mother's Day, 1983. I made it into a bracelet for my daughter Christmas 2017.

Cabbin Fever

• [My first cab!]
Re: Three Unknowns ~ Any input greatly appreciated
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 01:47:59 PM »

:dontknow:
Bought these from a guy with a box of rocks...so I have no idea what they are or where they are from. I will be putting them up for sale in a craft fair and would love to give them a name! Thanks! (Gee, looking at that one photo, I really could use a manicure! cabbing is beastly on one's fingers!)
Here is that last photo
My first cab is from a piece of jasper I found on the beach in Newport, OR my first Mother's Day, 1983. I made it into a bracelet for my daughter Christmas 2017.

Slabbercabber

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2017, 04:28:05 PM »

The top two photos look like granite.  The last one could be Woodward, but there are a lot of agates that have those colors.

Cabbin Fever

• [My first cab!]
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2017, 07:01:03 PM »

The top two photos look like granite.  The last one could be Woodward, but there are a lot of agates that have those colors.
Thank you so much! I am always totally flabbergasted how someone could peg something like the agate to something so specific (I googled it, seems spot on!!) What a talent, thank you!!  :Worthy:

SkySgt

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2017, 07:23:52 PM »

That last image looks like a lot of agate I have from West Texas .... Red & Yellow Moss Agate.  However, I am not sure if any is native to your area of the country.

Cabbin Fever

• [My first cab!]
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2017, 07:58:47 PM »

That last image looks like a lot of agate I have from West Texas .... Red & Yellow Moss Agate.  However, I am not sure if any is native to your area of the country.
Thank you Skysgt! This is not native to my area (frankly, not much of ANYTHING is native that is rock-like to Florida!) and I believe an early respondent identified it correctly as Woodward (Ranch) Agate (guessing at this as I cannot see the response as I am writing this). Thanks for your reply though!

SkySgt

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2017, 08:57:06 PM »

Yeah, I've found that stuff on just about all the Texas Big Bend area ranches on which I've had the pleasure of collecting.  That stuff is all over the Woodward, Ritchie, Walker, and South Larramore ranches, as well as East Needle Peak.  However, I've never found any on the Singleton Ranch .... Mostly milky Chalcedony.  I wonder why that is?

What Florida does have plenty of, is sharks teeth!  My wife was born in the Florida Panhandle (Panama Beach) and has family there.  Hoping to make a visit there soon, so I can search for some.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 36 queries.