Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: An artist in love with stones ...  (Read 1135 times)

GryffinSong

An artist in love with stones ...
« on: November 16, 2017, 11:53:14 AM »

Hi Everyone!  :hello:

I'm an artist who's dabbled in a variety of media. Most recently I've been making art quilts for renaissance festivals and greyhound events, but these days I'm learning metalsmithing. I jumped in with both feet, and in my first class made a silver cabochon ring. I loved it, and have taken a number of classes since. Just starting to look at stones for my work (as opposed to simply buying something from the instructor) and decided it would be cool to actually learn some more about them rather than buying something just because something's pretty. Online searches can only get one so far.

In the past I've been into stones to a lesser degree than most of you. Picked up Petoskey stones in Michigan way back when it was legal. My grandparents liked to tumble stones. And my ex and I had fun finding a bunch of amethyst on hikes in New England.

Anyway, I'm happy to be here, and will likely have questions about a wide variety of things. Once I do the liver sulfer thing on my ring, to darken the pattern, I'll post a picture somewhere.

lithicbeads

• Administrator
Re: An artist in love with stones ...
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 07:42:31 PM »

Welcome and have fun.

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 08:22:09 PM »

Welcome to the mix.  As far as I know they only have a 25lb limit on stone collecting in the state parks in Michigan and not a ban on collecting petosky stone.

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017, 08:29:39 PM »

Welcome to the forum from Northern Arizona!   :hello:

You can post pictures of your jewelry under Rockin' Jewelry -- Show and Tell.  You can upload photos directly to the forum.  Please make sure they are sized around 800 x 600 so as not to "break" the screen and cause a scroll bar to appear.   :icon_sunny:
Robin

GryffinSong

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 09:50:28 PM »

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

That's good to know that petoskey stones can still be collected. I haven't been to that area of Michigan in years, but it might be worth a side trip when next I visit Wisconsin. :)

I was just in Arizona a couple weeks ago, though I was in Scottsdale, rather than the north. Arizona is one of my all-time favorite states, and when I spent several years full time RVing, Arizona was my winter home. Someday, I might move back there. Some of my favorite people are there, including a whole bunch of folks with greyhounds, whippets, and Italian greyhounds.   :azn:

I'm thinking of buying a petoskey cabochon to use in a ring. I've got my eye on a particular one that I think would be gorgeous, and quite nostalgic. I'm just doing some more research on what I want before actually buying anything. I can't afford to buy everything I like. I'd be broke inside of an hour (or less!!!).

Colette

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2017, 06:08:23 PM »

Welcome to the forum  :hello:
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 38 queries.