Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Poll

What is the best 10 inch saw blade? I've searched and found mostly MK 301 & 303

I assume from my search that continuous rim blades are the best
- 0 (0%)
Is 0.040 inch thickness enough?  My current blade is thinner and tends to veer toward the clamp.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: June 01, 2018, 06:04:20 PM

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New saw blade  (Read 1311 times)

gvdueb

New saw blade
« on: May 22, 2018, 06:04:20 PM »

Help!

vitzitziltecpatl

Re: New saw blade
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 08:11:48 PM »

If slabbing anything less than premium rough I've found the MK 225 "Hot Dog" to be a good blade. I like segmented rim blades for their ability to carry more coolant through the cut, and more mud out of it.

The MK 225 has a .050" rim. It's rigid enough for slabbing. The MK 303 .040" on the other saw will deflect at times.

lapidaryrough

• www.lapidaryrough.com
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 10:18:21 PM »

10" trim saws are for the most part HAND FED.

And yes fast hands kill saw blades!

auto feed  at  8 -10  minutes too the inch is best for all saws.

Though at times you may need to change the pulley for feed rates of 30 minutes to the inch or more.

And as for the MK-Blades none better out their. since 1866 - present.

Silicate life form

peruano

• Retired Zoologist
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2018, 05:26:49 AM »

I agree totally with Vince. The MK 225 is a great blade in the hands of anyone but a professional or perfectionist. Its almost indestructible, will wear forever, and hey . . .  its an MK too!
Combining a love of bikes (pedal and otherwise) with hiking, hounding, lapidary, and the great outdoors

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2018, 08:00:21 AM »

Yep, our antique Victor 10" is strictly a "hand-slabber" for inconveniently shaped or other 3-5" chunks of common rough. It has a slotted fence made from 20-gage sheet metal angle bolted to the table, and I cram all sorts of rocks through it with the MK 225 on there.

The other 10" is a refurbed HP gravity feed saw from Cigar Box Rock. It has the .040" MK 303 on it. This saw gets all the better quality rough. The 303 only deflects on angled or protruding surfaces on the rough, so look out for that.

For any nicer rough bigger than 2-3", oddly shaped, or that I want precisely oriented to a certain surface, I swap out the 225 and put a 303 on the old saw. The .050" rim will help here - it's really easy to push a .040" blade around by hand.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 35 queries.