Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mojave Holley like Purple Agate  (Read 977 times)

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
Mojave Holley like Purple Agate
« on: August 21, 2018, 10:19:24 PM »

Okay I have a few images but none of these are recent.  Only rough images are from a few years back.  Image purp7 was taken on a flatbed scanner with the agate sitting in water, it is darker than the purple in real life but close as you can see by the matrix colors and you can see some natural veils emanating from the host at the top of the stone.  "941" shows the veils Stonemon was talking about in Holley.  Image 992 shows the very subtle lavender in some pieces.  Image 0002 shows the seam material I pulled out on one trip with the rock hammer in the back for scale and the backlit image shows the translucency of the material with the purple hue.  The seam material tended to have translucent outer bands and Opal centers.  The cab pic 948 I believe was the cab that has the double refrac but i'll need to replicate that in a photo.

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
Re: Mojave Holley like Purple Agate
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 10:28:27 PM »

Two more cabs to show a cab cut from the center of one of the narrow seams and a 2nd to show how gemmy it is with the floater center.

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2018, 06:47:36 AM »

Beautiful material and fabulous cabs you're getting out of it!  The color is yummy.
Robin

Stonemon

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2018, 07:16:51 AM »

That is gorgeous material. Seems quite similar to the Holley. Is this something that is available?
Great cabs. I love the shapes you are cutting.

Bill

socalagatehound

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2018, 11:10:53 AM »

Very cool stuff!!! Terrific discovery!  :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Excellent Cabs, too!!!

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2018, 11:27:35 AM »

@ Stonemon  Yeah I have kept quiet about it's location so as far as I know it is still there.  I made a CFMS case of the cabs and people kept asking if it was under claim and I figured if I claimed it then it would be general knowledge and ransacked in a heartbeat.  Area is small maybe 150yds square.  Might be larger but if it is then overburden has it buried.  I have also found Iris and Moss Agate in the spot which are less common but there.  Here is one of the moss, tends to be more in the bluish shades but intense Green Moss.  Moss stringers reminds me of Horse Canyon material.

ileney

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2018, 08:55:48 PM »

Wow.That whispy green moss floating in the blue background is really something. Very nice.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 37 queries.