Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: what we do differently  (Read 2012 times)

iceopals

• Ice
    • Iceopals Jewelry
what we do differently
« on: October 23, 2014, 01:14:07 PM »

Oh boy!!!   I'm thrilled!   And thank you for putting in this category. 
I loved the shot of the Navajo Splash Jasper that got this started and I am really looking forward to the specifics of how it was shot.    I have some thoughts, but would love to learn more.

I have been shooting jewelry for a while now, but each and every person probably has their own techniques.   
Most I shoot for website use (please do not check out the shots on my website, they are old and must be redone- so much learning since then), and jury entries for shows.   Each require different specifics, but at least some overlap exists.   I would love to get some comparisons, so I will start by adding a shot that I took recently and maybe that will get things going. 
 ---back after dinner...

iceopals

• Ice
    • Iceopals Jewelry
Re: what we do differently
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 08:39:30 AM »

All righty then!  I promised to throw myself on the sword first.    :icon_scratch:
This is a shot that combines several interests.  In addition to the question on photography, the bracelet is different because it is made with a number of techniques, some of which are topics on this forum.

First, photography--   I like a black background, and I like a reflection.   The only photo-editing I have done is to go in and remove the dust on the background and lower the reflectivity to a semi-ghost image rather than a 100% reflection (which it was originally, but that is very confusing to the final image).   If posting this to my website or to a jury I would also go in and tweak the colors of the silver and play a bit with contrast and brightness levels. 
Second, the bracelet-   It has a Bisbee boulder turquoise stone set in a sterling silver bracelet that has fused edges, is depletion guilt, and then metal clay accents are added all over.

Thoughts--   I know there are a number of different thoughts on backgrounds.   I really like the graduated grays also.   My problem with that is getting that durned piece of jewelry or stone to sit correctly against my graduated paper.   I would LOVE advice on that.   I know I can select the jewelry or stone in PS and then paste it on the graduated background, and so far that is the only way I have come up with to really get the image to come out correct.  So................   :glasses9:

Bentiron

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 03:41:07 PM »

Sorry, no advice to give on picture taking but that is one nice piece of jewelry :headbang:

wampidy

• A ring on the hand is worth two on the bush
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 06:57:22 PM »

I like a black background also but I am too lazy to set it up now. When I was studying photography I just use one piece of paper and made it the base and the background by bending it in a curve so it laid flat then curved up the back of the light box. This can be done on a larger scale with people and canvas but it is best to have people sitting or laying on something so they do not look like they are floating.

Now I just toss them on my comforter or set them on the table. I bought a new really high powered flashlight that I lay on a pillow so I can aim it and shoot away. I do not have to worry about winning a bunch of photo contests that way. lol
Jim
BTW Great tut, photo and cab.
I threw a stone into the air.
It came to earth "ouch"
I now know where.
You can quote me on this, I have the scar.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 33 queries.