Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Slab Grabber  (Read 17520 times)

finegemdesigns

• finegemdesigns
Re: Slab Grabber
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2016, 10:49:35 AM »

Once you pay for a grabber there's no more money you need to spend.

No extra money for glue and no more money for sticks and blocks of wood.

Grabbers are cheaper and also less messy.

As far as running all the way up to the block that is only an advantage if you need to get a final slab that is less than 1/4 inch thick. A slab grabber properly used and aligned works well to make slabs. It's not the equipment's fault if you get greedy and cut your screw heads off because you cut too close.

Lastly in most cases you don't even need to take the grabber out of the vise using my type. You can unscrew the top and insert another end cut so yet another time saver.

phrankhansen

Re: Slab Grabber
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2016, 10:52:25 AM »

Thanks for all the great ideas. I only have a tile saw and I'm really looking for how to get the first flat cut on a rock so that I can have a flat side on the bed of the sliding table. I tried a piece of plywood with  4 carriage bolts through that and then 2 1x4's, each with 2 bolts and wing nuts. Like I saw somewhere on the forum. It works ok fine for large rocks, but poorly with small rocks, especially irregularly shaped small rocks. Sounds like JB weld is the next thing to true. You all are great to share.  Thanks
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 25 queries.