Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canola Oil - Deep Fried Slabs?  (Read 1477 times)

vitzitziltecpatl

Canola Oil - Deep Fried Slabs?
« on: March 24, 2018, 11:03:02 AM »

Just got an old Frantom 18" saw. The oil that came with it was in canola oil containers. Stuck my head in the saw, and sure enough it smells like a really bad dive diner.

Anyone here ever use oils like that in their saws...?

Jhon P

Re: Canola Oil - Deep Fried Slabs?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2018, 11:06:19 AM »

People will will use anything. It doesn’t surprise me. I would be worried about the flash rating. And it going rancid.

Enchantra

• Head Bead Nut
  • Administrator
  • Insane Bead Woman
    • Enchanted Regalia
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2018, 11:30:17 AM »

People will will use anything. It doesn’t surprise me. I would be worried about the flash rating. And it going rancid.

Agreed.  Rancid oil smells bad, and you also don't want it catching fire while you are cutting!
I would clean that and switch it to mineral oil, or whatever preferred oil you like to cut with.

PhilNM

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2018, 01:52:10 PM »

Do NOT use cooking oil! kills your blade, stains your stone, stinks. Stick with mineral oil.

peruano

• Retired Zoologist
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2018, 03:10:58 PM »

And it could clog your arteries if you breath enough of the mist.  Now the things that could grow in kitchen oils could constitute a health risk.  Go figure.
Honestly, dear, I'm on a Mediterranean diet - I run my saw with olive oil 12 hours per day.   :nono:
Combining a love of bikes (pedal and otherwise) with hiking, hounding, lapidary, and the great outdoors

Barclay

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2018, 03:52:52 PM »

Ditto to all above.  Also you don't know how good canola oil would be at providing cooling to your blade and rock.

Slabbercabber

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2018, 04:04:37 PM »

Some years back I bought a saw that had been used with peanut oil.  It had congealed into a thick sticky paste.  He kept using it until the drive gears locked up and stripped.  It took total disassembly and gallons of acetone to get it cleaned up.  It also would not come out of my clothes.  Had to throw them away.  I wouldn't do it again.

Jhon P

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2018, 09:13:04 PM »

When we rescued my 24” saw from under a deck it had used motor oil in it. What a mess. It must of really stained the rocks.

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2018, 12:09:40 PM »

I thought this topic might inspire some entertaining replies.

Didn't consider using the vegetable oil for even an instant - luckily I bought a bucket of the good stuff recently, so that will go in after I clean the old beast up. Probably today, as the saw shop already stinks.

A quick search on vegetable-based oils after the initial post turned up info like "...coefficient of friction is lower after adding mineral oil...", and "...wear resistance under load not as good as mineral oils...". Obviously, making the motor work harder and killing an 18" blade quicker aren't good options.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 43 queries.