Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Utah Wyoming trip finds  (Read 2295 times)

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
Utah Wyoming trip finds
« on: November 20, 2017, 01:14:54 PM »

Hi all.  I have been busy (and a bit lazy) posting the finds from the trip to see the Eclipse.  I posted separately the large log find and some of the fossil sponge.  This is the rest of the material I collected on the trip with the exception of the Topaz.  Since I kept giving the Topaz to people all along the trip I came home with little.  The 2 couples who broke down in their motorhome near Jeffrey City and the Grandfather who was visiting his first grandchild I met at a restaurant along with kids, waitresses and even the rangers in one of the Wyoming State parks all got to have some Topaz Keepsakes.  I didn't really need more I was so lucky the first couple times I went there better to share the wealth.

The trip started with a 112 degree stop in Mojave on the way and then straight to Topaz Mountain.  I dug Topaz for a day and then moved over to Green River to collect Pigeon Blood Agate and Coprolites.  I beautiful Gopher snake caught me off guard while collecting the PBlood Agate. and I spent one day on that material.  I came home with some very large very high grade Pigeon blood as you can see from the pic of some of the large pieces. The next morning I decided to try a couple canyons I have had luck in the past.  I was looking for more of the Lemon Yellow Wood I found there but came up dry.  I was hunting the coprolites and after a few hints in the main wash they led me up a side canyon and there they were in clusters dotting the hillside.  I did really well.  After this I moved up to Wyoming to meet my friends and we went to Blue Forest.  First night with only a couple hours to dig I hit the big log.  Next day digging maybe 2 feet away I hit a cast of almost all blue agate with 3/4" walls and the base was solid with wood floaters.  I picked up a bunch of other wood and limbs and did well for the shorts time there.

We then went to shot the eclipse which was absolutely awesome.  While in town I saw a lapidary saw in a guys yard and introduced myself and he turned us on to the Fossil Sponge location which we only hit for maybe 2 hours but came up with some real winners.  From there we moved down to Jeffrey City and after finding the looking for Jade was going to be a much harder and longer hunt we decided to hit the Sweetwater agates for a day.  I got some beauties.  And of course the last morning walking around (!!without my snake chaps on and wearing tennis shoes!!) I almost stepped on the Prairie rattler. 

A most memorable trip and loads of great material to cut.  Blacklight pic is taken in our bathroom with a UV flashlight to show the green in the sweetwater agates.  I just noticed i missed putting the tray of sponge slabs.

lithicbeads

• Administrator
Re: Utah Wyoming trip finds
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 01:27:57 PM »

Nice post. I still have a little pigeon's blood around and it is one of the nicest roughs to look at in hand , great color , translucency and inclusions.

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 03:18:50 PM »

You did really well and found some beautiful rough.  That'll keep you busy for the winter.   :icon_sunny:
Robin

gemfeller

• Art Cut Gems
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 03:26:58 PM »

You seem to know all the best collecting spots.  Glad you lucked out with that rattler!  It looks like you'll have lots of slabbing/cabbing fun ahead.  Nice finds. 

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 04:27:04 PM »

Rick, let me know next time you come up the hill and i'll send you home with some.

gemfeller

• Art Cut Gems
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 09:47:35 PM »

Rick, let me know next time you come up the hill and i'll send you home with some.
You've got a deal.  Thanks. 

Kaljaia

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 12:38:43 PM »

Gorgeous material! Sounds like quite a trip, and glad that rattler encounter turned out well.

What blacklight do you use?
- Erika

I rock hunt in the Antelope/Ashwood area of the John Day river basin in Oregon.

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2017, 02:15:02 PM »

It was made by phileex.  I'll add the link here but on amazon it says currently unavailable.  Very strong and well built and inexpensive.  I think I only paid around $10. for it and very happy with it.  You might be able to find it someplace besides Amazon/

https://www.amazon.com/Ultraviolet-flashlight-Blacklight-Currency-Detector/dp/B00J98P2YI/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

gemfeller

• Art Cut Gems
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2017, 02:25:02 PM »

I just found and ordered one on EBay.  Just do a search for " Phileex 395 nM 51 UV Ultraviolet LED flashlight Blacklight."  There seem to be lots of them available for under $10 delivered.

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2017, 08:32:24 PM »

Yep they are an awesome deal and very handy in the field.

cabjunky

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2017, 06:00:29 AM »

I enjoyed reading about your adventures.  Very nice material. 

socalagatehound

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2017, 12:30:14 PM »

Looks like you won the home run derby on this one! Excellent finds and an eclipse too!  :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Craig
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 50 queries.