Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Minnesota Rocks???  (Read 1874 times)

Redwilder

Minnesota Rocks???
« on: June 07, 2017, 09:27:29 PM »

Howdy y'all!!!!
  An old army buddy has been wanting to come to my state of Washington for me to take him out for a try at rockhounding somewhere in the West (He isn't a hound himself, but always loves my photos of my trips and wants to give it a try). I don't trust my truck anymore to go on any of my normal summer mountain and desert tramping, so instead, I am flying out to where he is in Minneapolis. Sounds like he is up for a camping/hounding trip up north in the Daluth area. I know there are "Lakers" there, but where should I should focus our attention on. Will only have a couple of days to do so and I hope to make the best of it while there. Thanks!!!!!

Gergis

• Global Moderator
  • "I MILK MY ROCKS"
Re: Minnesota Rocks???
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2017, 10:25:22 PM »

Lots of banded iron stone in them parts!

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Slabbercabber

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 04:04:49 AM »

Contact every rock quarry in the area in advance and see if you can get permission to search for lakers in their dumps.  Abandoned quarries can be good but very hit and miss.  The same can be said for the lakeshore.  The further you walk from easy access the better.

peruano

• Retired Zoologist
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 04:08:30 PM »

I've ridden a lot of bike trails (often abandoned railroad lines, and often bounded by farmed fields and ditches to drain the area).  Along those trails are often mounds of rocks moved from the center of the fields or from the rail bed to the side, and they are quasi public access (at least under threat you could run back onto public access areas).  I have searched such strips of rocks and occasionally scored an interesting lapidary rock, but never a laker, but there's always the chance.  I just finished riding over 400 miles of the Mississippi river trajectory in Minnesota and Wisconsin by bike, but alas did not often stop to search for rocks, but . . . some areas were awfully tempting on the Paul Bunyon trail and parts north of Minneapolis.
Combining a love of bikes (pedal and otherwise) with hiking, hounding, lapidary, and the great outdoors

cfminneapolis

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2017, 04:38:16 PM »

Something

cfminneapolis

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2017, 04:40:29 PM »

Moose Lake,MN advertises that they are the agate capital of the world and make it easy to buy a permit to search a few gravel pits in the area. Good luck!

cfminneapolis

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2017, 05:02:10 PM »

Moose Lake,MN advertises that they are the agate capital of the world and make it easy to buy a permit to search a few gravel pits in the area. Good luck!

Here is a link to a good description of the pits.
http://www.kmgsrocks.com/2016/08/04/moose-lake/
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 40 queries.