Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Unusual jade knife handle  (Read 2610 times)

Kaljaia

Unusual jade knife handle
« on: May 07, 2016, 07:44:24 AM »

This isn't exactly ancient but it's not recent either so I wasn't sure where to put it.
Saw this on a blog I follow:
Thought it was a very unusual use of Jade 'beads' to form a dagger handle. Or at least they are described as jade. Interesting, anyhow! And I love the silver inlay in the stones.

Their description:
Jade Dagger

Dated: 19th century
Place of Origin: Ottoman Empire
Measurements: overall length: 12.5in (318mm); blade length: 7in (178mm)
An unusual dagger from the Ottoman Empire with a hilt that is carved in “Mutton-Fat” Jade, chiselled, inlaid with silver, and topped with a silver crown shaped pommel. The bolster and ricasso area of the blade are overlaid with gold decoration typical to daggers from that area. A nicely shaped blade, fullered and inlaid with two brass dots.

Blog link:http://art-of-swords.tumblr.com/post/143986995764/jade-dagger-dated-19th-century-place-of-origin
Source link: http://runjeetsingh.com/
- Erika

I rock hunt in the Antelope/Ashwood area of the John Day river basin in Oregon.

lithicbeads

• Administrator
Re: Unusual jade knife handle
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2016, 08:56:17 AM »

Very beautiful form . The shape of the handle really plays off the overall shape well.Interesting inlay as well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 29 queries.