Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tested Turquoise not sure it's a true  (Read 3098 times)

Enigmatrix

Tested Turquoise not sure it's a true
« on: May 14, 2018, 07:55:00 PM »

Hi I have bought 2 turquoises on the internet and tested them with my ameritool universal polisher with a 3000 grit I had just bought never used it before and never knew how it worked. I was sure they were false turquoise because they have white spots on them especially one and looks like dyed howlite. But when I dug a bit in the stone it was still turquoise. I'm not sure if it is a turquoise though.

Enigmatrix

Re: Tested Turquoise it was a true one now how can I polish it?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 08:41:56 PM »

Highlighted the spot where I polished with a plaque

Can a dremel be good to make small round repairs like this one https://picclick.co.uk/Engraver-Precision-Graver-Lapidary-Engraving-Kit-Stencils-For-162532124017.html?

If yes what dremel should I use and what tool such as this:
https://picclick.co.uk/206pc-Rotary-Drill-Hobby-Tool-Accessory-Sanding-Kit-291125923086.html
would be ok like the 3000 grit disk?

Thank you

PhilNM

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 11:01:43 AM »

need clearer pics. Looks like dyed magnesite.

Enigmatrix

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 05:32:25 PM »

I don't have a better camera but I could tell on two turquoises bought to the same seller on ebay there are a white spot on the one shown above and another one is a cabochon and there are big plaques of white. I believed it was true and that turquoise was forming near the white in nature sometimes because I polished it with a 3000 grit and dug a bit into both of them and the color stayed. But maybe the dye is just going deep. Do you think it can be a fake even so?

southerly

Re: Tested Turquoise not sure it's a true
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2018, 11:12:03 PM »

If your camera does not have a macro setting, photograph the rock as close as possible while maintaining focus. Also try and get the true colour, the hand in the photo is seriously colour saturated. Based on pic so far I agree with Phil that is looks dyed. A better pic would help.

David

55fossil

Re: Tested Turquoise not sure it's a true
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2018, 10:18:19 AM »

Maybe hold the camera further back and crop the picture. Macro would be great.  if you do not have Macro the further distance should let your camera focus better.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 38 queries.