Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Unknown small cabochon  (Read 1181 times)

Kerrismama

Unknown small cabochon
« on: April 05, 2018, 11:38:14 AM »

I bought this cab in an online estate auction. I don't know much about it, other than the estate was that of a retired jeweler. It looks to have been backed at some point, but it is coming off so I would assume it was recovered from a setting at some point. Hardness is around 3.5 - 4.5. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

yukonjade

Re: Unknown small cabochon
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2018, 12:59:17 PM »

Possibly Fordite,cabs made from automotive paint taken in chunks from car manufacturers paint booths {years of buildup} :icon_scratch:  :icon_scratch:

Kerrismama

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2018, 01:32:36 PM »

Possibly Fordite,cabs made from automotive paint taken in chunks from car manufacturers paint booths {years of buildup} :icon_scratch:  :icon_scratch:
Thanks for your response. I had never heard of that before, so I looked it up. That's really cool! I'm not entirely convinced that's what this is though. It's hard to see the detail,  but in looking at pictures of fordite online close up it looks like a layered paint. There's these brightly colored layers alternating with very glittery layers from the metallic paints. That's not what's going on in this cab I have. If you look at it in close up detail, the layers have a very agate sort of look to them.  Idk, maybe I'm way off base. I've certainly never seen Fordite in person before. Here's a better close up picture of my cab so you can see what I mean

Slabbercabber

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2018, 01:47:55 PM »

If you rub a metal file across the back fordite will behave like plastic.  It will file off soft and powdery.

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2018, 02:15:46 PM »

To me it looks more like Rainbow Calsilica.  Also a man made "stone" using pigments for color. The colors in your stone match those of Rainbow Calsilica, but instead of cutting it with all the color lines showings, it looks like yours was cut the opposite way.

Here's the GIA's analysis of Rainbow Calsilica:  https://www.gia.edu/doc/WN02.pdf  page 362 is the conclusion.
Robin

Kerrismama

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2018, 02:34:22 PM »

To me it looks more like Rainbow Calsilica.  Also a man made "stone" using pigments for color. The colors in your stone match those of Rainbow Calsilica, but instead of cutting it with all the color lines showings, it looks like yours was cut the opposite way.

Here's the GIA's analysis of Rainbow Calsilica:  https://www.gia.edu/doc/WN02.pdf  page 362 is the conclusion.
Yep, I think you're right! I just found a few pictures of some hand cut cabochons that look very similar. Thanks for the help.

finegemdesigns

• finegemdesigns
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2018, 09:43:15 PM »

Rainbow Calsilica came from a tile factory in Mexico. I have a youtube video which shows a photo of a bottle cap imbedded in the material.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 39 queries.