Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Highland Park bearing removal  (Read 1321 times)

ALG

Highland Park bearing removal
« on: September 27, 2019, 09:05:11 PM »

:blob1:Hello! New here . I have a new used Highland park E10. I’ve disassembled it up to removing the bearings to change grinding wheels. Question is: How do I remve bearing? I removed hex screws on each side and no budge!! Thank you!!C46E7418-A9F2-4571-8BDA-8816842BD9AB.jpeg
*C46E7418-A9F2-4571-8BDA-8816842BD9AB.jpeg (711.26 kB . 2100x1575 - viewed 337 times).

Stonemon

Re: Highland Park bearing removal
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2019, 11:30:57 PM »

Welcome to the forum! I am sure someone will have an answer for you here. I do not have one of that model and am not familiar with the assembly.

Bill

Slabbercabber

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2019, 04:25:37 AM »

The bearings are press fit.  After removing the shaft from the machine you will need to find a way to get a solid surface under the inner race to support it and push the shaft out.  There are bearing pullers made for the purpose but you may be able to do it by supporting the bearing on the jaws of a bench vice.  If you plan to replace the wheels with carborundum then I would definitely invest in the proper bearing puller.  Anything else will be rather frustrating.  Whatever you do, do not beat on the end of the shaft with a hammer.  First you will mushroom the end making all other operations very difficult.  In addition, the balls will brinnell the races and ruin the bearing.

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2019, 09:46:19 AM »

Good advice with a big dose of patience.

Trails

• Ever wandering
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2019, 10:35:05 AM »

In some cases, if your planning on replacing the bearing anyways, Ive soaked the bearing/arbor joint in WD-40 or PB blaster and taken a torch to it for a few minutes to heat it up, spray more while it boils on contact, and then let it cool overnight. Ive had trouble with machines that have seen the Florida humidity and heat for the last 30 years after being stored dirty.. and this is usually my last resort of "your getting the f offa there". If you must must must whack on the arbor, use a piece of wood 2x4 as a buffer, or hell, just for the mallet itself.
Tay

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2019, 01:20:24 PM »

This all reminds me of when I worked as a millright in a paper mill. My father was the head millright and was used to taking bearings off two and three foot diameter shafts on the stacks. Young guys were not allowed near those jobs. Very scary intimidating work.

ALG

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2019, 07:31:06 PM »

Thank you all!! With just a bit of firm pressure the bearing slid right off!! 

Downwindtracker2

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2020, 07:21:10 PM »

Well this is an old thread . But here is a tip. I just recently did a wheel change on a Mercury. The bearings were like those in the photos. Some pillow block bearings have a collar that fits on a eccentric protrusion on the bearing . A twist will tighten and clamp the bearing in place. The set screw will then hold it from turning. A ring spanner should be used in the blind hole, most often a pin punch and a tap with a hammer is used.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 41 queries.