Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: pickle question? new to it  (Read 2722 times)

MurphyStone

pickle question? new to it
« on: July 27, 2016, 03:49:46 AM »

Hello my pieces have been coming out of the pickle with a white creamy film on them.  This hasn't been a problem in the past as I just sand and polish them up and they look great.  My latest piece though has to many areas that can't easily be sanded and polished as to much twisted wire is used. 
two questions,
what is this creamy white layer?  I am using fine silver for the most part
Will tumbling in stainless shot and pins remove this?

Thanks

Slabbercabber

Re: pickle question? new to it
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2016, 05:42:12 AM »

You can buy nylon brushes for a dremel.

Orrum

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2016, 06:08:52 AM »

Pickle goes bad. Have you tried new pickle?

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2016, 07:17:11 AM »

What type of pickle are you using?  If you are soldering, to me it sounds just like the fine silver coming to the surface.  When you clean the metal in pickle, the fine silver layer on the top is white. It's called depletion gilding.  SS shot should get most of it, but you may want to try the 3M radial bristle brushes on your Foredom to clean it up.

Robin

MurphyStone

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2016, 07:20:19 AM »

What type of pickle are you using?  If you are soldering, to me it sound just like the fine silver coming to the surface.  When you clean the metal in pickle, the fine silver layer on the top is white. It's called depletion gilding.  SS shot should get most of it, but you may want to try the 3M radial bristle brushes on your Foredom to clean it up.
Homemade vinegar and salt.  Yes soldering.

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2016, 07:34:01 AM »

Here's a link to the brushes on Rio Grande.  https://www.riogrande.com/Product/3m-radial-bristle-disc-master-kit/332595

They're really good for getting into all the little tight places you can't reach otherwise without a lot of contortions.  A quick and easy solution.  They come in different grit sizes.  They sell them separately -- you don't have to buy the whole kit.  Just make sure you have the correct mandrel to mount them on.  They work just fine in your Dremel.
Robin

bobby1

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2016, 07:43:31 AM »

I use a 1" diameter very fine (.005") stainless wire wheel brush wheel. It cleans the layer off in seconds. The only place that I can find these in stainless is Mc Master Carr.
Bob

olgguy

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2016, 08:33:29 AM »

The ultimate would be a MAGNETIC PIN FINISHER, the lowest priced one is $199.00. A raw casting dropped in one of these comes out almost polished with no effort on your part. Look on Rio Grande or E Bay under "Magnetic Tumbler Machine" The stainless steel shot straight pins have sharp points which can cause finishing problems, we remove these when using this type shot, where as the magnetic pins are much smaller and thinner and all the same size with blunted ends and no other shapes.

MurphyStone

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2016, 06:38:42 PM »

Thanks everyone. Picked up the shot and 3m brushes from a studio within driving distance, the piece has only been tumbling a half hour and looks great so far.

I'll look into the magnetic pin once I start casting. Have the equipment just haven't gotten to it yet.

MurphyStone

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2016, 08:39:37 PM »

The outcome
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 41 queries.