Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dual 8 inch grinder, recommendations wanted  (Read 1162 times)

55fossil

Dual 8 inch grinder, recommendations wanted
« on: October 18, 2016, 08:42:06 AM »

Well, time to replace my Maxi-Pro 8 Dual wheel grinder. 30 years old and just too noisy now. Sooooo,  I was wondering if anyone had recommendations. I looked at the Covington Dual unit. It comes in standard, heavy duty and a variable speed unit. Also has a four wheel unit. Prices run from $750 to $1,200 with the expand rubber drums. Price is secondary to quiet and works good.   Recommendations please.......

lithicbeads

• Administrator
Re: Dual 8 inch grinder, recommendations wanted
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 12:09:54 PM »

I have used the Covington and like it but  it restricts access a little too much for me.The variable speed is very nice and I think it would run smoothly if not quietly if it were hooked down to the table.All  units that I have used with expandos as ws on the unit I tried make a bit of noise from the inevitable expandable drum wobble.

55fossil

Re: Dual 8 inch grinder, recommendations wanted
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 12:21:23 PM »

Thanks.  I have a separate poly arbor that I use for the big stuff. It sits in the back of the barn until it is needed. Have you ever wondered why everyone (almost) wants to buy huge slabs and rough to cut small cabochons. Even a 3 inch cabochon.. well, you know what I mean.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 31 queries.