Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sphere Making Machine. What to buy?  (Read 2956 times)

Prestontucker

Sphere Making Machine. What to buy?
« on: December 06, 2016, 09:08:42 PM »

Was wondering if anyone has any experience and advice on Sphere making machines.  Looking to purchase one in the near future and it looks like, as far as new goes, the two main choices are Covington and Highland Park.  Been searching the internet lately for used or homemade machines for sale but unable to find anything in my area.  Most likely going to go with a three head machine.  Notice HP makes an entry level machine in the $800 dollar range.  They classify this unit as a low speed machine.  Both Covington and HP make larger units in the $2500 range that are high speed.  Are there any advantages or disadvantages to high and low speed.  Looks like most of the Home-made units run at a lower rpm.  I'm new at this really looking forward to getting started.

Any advice would be welcomed.
Thanks

northcanadian

Re: Sphere Making Machine. What to buy?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 08:54:35 PM »

Hi...I'm also a newbie here.  There is some good info regarding building a machine...google... mac's sphere machine shop.  I had built one (no luck getting gear motors up here) using 3 makita variable speed drills instead....works pretty good...I am making them from 15/8" diameter geological drill core (which kind of helps...starting out with an already round rock rod)

Good luck with your projects.

Roger

Jhon P

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 09:56:00 PM »

I have two home made machines and a Covington three head
I much prefer the Covington it has multiple adjustments. The home made ones I got used with extra motors. One I have used up all the extra motors and now sets under the workbench. The other has different motors and have only replace one motor, I have one extra motor left. If you are going to get serious go with the Covington or the HP. Sandsave has the Hp high speed and a Covington two head he can tell you more about them. If you want to know the procedure I use I will be glad to help.
Get ready to spend $ the machine is just the start, you need grinding cups. Ect and big rocks and a bigger saw so you can cut bigger rocks because if you are like me bigger is better.

Orrum

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2017, 06:00:23 AM »

The sphere thing is a expensive hobby to maintain but I do love them round rocks!

Jhon P

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2017, 06:06:07 AM »

If you are happy with small spheres it can be a lot cheaper.

Prestontucker

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 12:54:24 AM »

Expensive indeed but there is something alluring about "them round rocks"  I found and purchased an older Covington two head machine for real cheap and then decided to get an HP 3 head low speed machine.  Would love to get the HP high speed machine but just not in the budget.  I'm really impressed with the 3 head low speed machine by HP  no complaints.  Still learning but having some success already.  Been slowly purchasing sets of cups in different sizes and grits as the paycheck allows.  thinking about using the Covington for polishing stages and the HP for grinding but not sure.  Will experiment with both.  Its nice to have the option.  Its interesting to see the different results from a 2 head machine vs a 3 head.  Been practicing on some granite landscaping rock until I get my technique down.  Have a few 3" spheres in progress.  Will post pics when I get to the polishing stage.  Tried to rough in a few agates but ended up wrecking each one.  Not sure if was fractures in the stone or my technique.  So switched to the granite for now until my learning curve improves.  Made a few small spheres 3/4" with a technique I found on Youtube.  No sphere machine needed.  Works really well.  Having fun with that also.  Will update and post pics as time allows....

Jhon P

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 06:12:15 AM »

The book
A Sphere Makers Craft. By Robert Ritchie  was a good resource for me.

Sandsave

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2017, 05:54:01 AM »

I had a home built machine at the start, grit, plumbing bells for rough cuts and pvc cups for polishing and really messy. I bought the HP machine as the web site showed the same motors as my home built one. When it arrived the motors, were different very disappointed, the gear heads are set at 105 rpm which match my old motors but won't mount to the HP machine , I looked at the high speed machine but went with this one to match my old motors, I have since rebuilt the hinges abandoned the bungy cords, I use four sets of springs with different tensions I can make the rock spin any direction I want. I use diamond sintered segment cups for 80,220,400 rough, and diamond impegnated polymer cup for polishing 400 to 8000. Although I don't use the 8k very often.
Buying the cups is expensive, but I'm pleased with the results I get.

Jhon is correct, now you'll need bigger rocks and a bigger saw!!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 38 queries.