Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fear no Welo!  (Read 2106 times)

opalfool

Fear no Welo!
« on: February 11, 2017, 07:13:28 AM »

I am new to this forum and have read a few posts where folks are anxious about cabbing Ethiopian opal.  I am an avid collector and have had great luck with my stones.  They are very stable and I have never had one crack, despite the fact that I wear them in my hair and in rings where they get wet every time I wash my hands. 

I purchase most of them off of opalauctions.com, where you can find a great assortment of dealers selling cabs and rough.  Here's a photo of my very favorite cab, a 32ct Welo.  I set it myself in a silver heart that I heavily oxidized to show off the colors.  It is 100% saturated with fire!  I can't get enough of looking at it.  This photo was taken in low light sitting on an antler display.
DSC03196 (800x600).jpg
*DSC03196 (800x600).jpg (268.89 kB . 800x600 - viewed 398 times)

vitzitziltecpatl

Re: Fear no Welo!
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 07:53:14 AM »

Nice piece - and welcome to the forum!

Were you a member of the forum they used to have up at OA?

None of the few Ethiopians I've cut had cracking problems after they were cut, either. Most disappointing thing we encountered was that some of the crystal went milky during cutting. Some never cleared up completely, even after years of never being wet again.

Stonemon

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 08:13:53 AM »

Welcome,
That is a beauty....
Bill

Bill

ileney

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2017, 08:24:28 AM »

Wow! That is awesome. What a beauty.

I have had problems with cracking during cabbing. What size rough did you start with to end up with such an amazing stone? Do you cut dry or wet and if wet, don't you find stones crack during cabbing? I have had difficulty with cabbing welo rough, but maybe I am too cheap in what I pay for it and have not bought expensive enough rough. Is there a dealer in particular you have had good luck with?

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2017, 09:36:31 AM »

Welcome to the forum, from Northern Arizona and another opalholic!  Nice stone!   :headbang:
Robin

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2017, 01:59:16 PM »

Ileney, sorry to hear you've had troubles with the Welo rough. I've only cut a few for us and a half-dozen others on a commissioned job (from the other person's rough) so maybe I was just lucky.

Have heard all sorts of opinions about Ethiopian rough in general. The only type almost guaranteed - in my limited experience only - to crack was the old chocolate colored rough from when it first hit the markets. Hope you find a rough vendor who can supply you with good stable rough.

opalfool

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2017, 06:07:08 AM »

Ileney, seconding vince, the Mezezo, Shewa and Stayish mine rough cracks often.  Not so much the Welo mines.  There are quite a few dealers that are reputable...I have had good luck with Konjo, Yudi, Caribbeanopals, Kozel, Ilsaopal, Ethiopals, Indigoopals, OpalsBonanza, Bravoopals, and Ethiolicious.  I have had poor luck with Nanyang.

Cutting wet will help dissipate heat which may contribute to cracking.

opalfool

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2017, 06:17:48 AM »

Ileney, lol, no need to pay more than necessary!  Don't be shy about dickering on prices.  I rarely pay the listed price.  Most shops will drastically reduce their prices if you ask.  Many are wholesalers who offer rough from their own mines and can go low on price.

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2017, 10:44:36 PM »

I have only had a problem with one Welo.  I had carved a piece and did a prong pendant setting.  The stone was blazing with color.  On a trip to collect in Texas I think it was some sun screen that got on it and it clouded and has never come back, sad.  I have had many Welo go clear during cabbing which is quite normal for Welo but the color has always come back.  Interestingly the Fire Opal from the old Dick Barnett claim in Opal Canyon, CA. had what he called soakers which did the same.

Orrum

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2017, 05:39:34 AM »

Great info Bobby1, I am gonna try that!

ileney

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2017, 07:32:33 AM »

Thanks for all the info. / advice folks!

gemfeller

• Art Cut Gems
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2017, 09:15:22 AM »

I have only had a problem with one Welo.  I had carved a piece and did a prong pendant setting.  The stone was blazing with color.  On a trip to collect in Texas I think it was some sun screen that got on it and it clouded and has never come back, sad.  I have had many Welo go clear during cabbing which is quite normal for Welo but the color has always come back.  Interestingly the Fire Opal from the old Dick Barnett claim in Opal Canyon, CA. had what he called soakers which did the same.

Hydrophane opal is strange stuff.  There seems to be two kinds: opal that has no play of color until it get "soaked," and opal that loses its POC when it gets wet.  Welo's the second kind, but I'll never forget the humdrum piece of Mexican opal I was wet-grinding years ago that suddenly became a glowing, colorful beauty as water penetrated into it.  I've looked for a scientific explanation for the difference but haven't yet found one.  I had the same experience with some opal I dug years ago in Virgin Valley, NV.  No POC until it was saturated with water.

Another very interesting type I've cut from Mexico, is "contra-luz" opal that shows POC only when viewed by transmitted light.  It appears like standard red or orange fire opal in reflected light but comes alive with precious opal colors when held up to the sun or another light source.   
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 46 queries.