Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: weirdest thunder egg yet  (Read 3324 times)

Kaljaia

weirdest thunder egg yet
« on: March 02, 2017, 01:27:45 PM »

Cut this big egg from the reservoir bed. Quite the scene inside! Alien forest or undersea cavern?

Short video clip of cutting the slab, and the sparks from the saw through the agate.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BRHtvFDgzm_/?taken-by=thinkslikesrocks&hl=en

Used clear acrylic fixative spray on the half piece because I'm afraid of the orange material drying out, going opaque and flaking. I had that happen to another egg with a similar material inside. I don't have large-object-polishing-powers yet either, so I am 'cheating' with the spray to make some egg halves look pretty for my office.
- Erika

I rock hunt in the Antelope/Ashwood area of the John Day river basin in Oregon.

Ranger_Dave

Re: weirdest thunder egg yet
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 01:46:23 PM »

Cool!

Back

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 02:38:14 PM »

Wow

:WHOAR:

All I can say is if you want to sell that PM me. It is calling me :headbang:

Bless
Shawn

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2017, 05:08:12 PM »

Oh my, Erika!  That is beautiful!  Great job digging that one out.   :occasion14:
Robin

Sandsave

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2017, 05:13:10 PM »

WOW! That's a keeper

Kaljaia

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2017, 06:40:45 PM »

Thanks all! Was fun to see that end come off the saw. Knocked the other end off this evening, so I have a good thick round with two nice display sides, two good end pieces, and two nice slabs, out of the egg.

Wow

:WHOAR:

All I can say is if you want to sell that PM me. It is calling me :headbang:

Bless
Shawn

Hey, if you're serious let me know what the average going price for uncut or cut eggs like this might be. I have asked my boss about selling material (I work for the nonprofit that owns the land this egg came from. We sell old pipe fittings on ebay. why not rocks?) but he's skeptical that there is a viable market. If I can take him info that yes, something like this would sell and bring in funds for summer scholarships or maintenance or something it's a lot more likely it'll become available sometime in the future.
- Erika

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2017, 08:34:25 PM »

The fractured rough that looked blue  you had on the other day is the type of rough that can be very useful for jewelry stones. Rockhounds like big stones but jewelers tend to use much smaller rich colored stones.

Back

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2017, 01:03:48 PM »

Hi Erika

"Used clear acrylic fixative spray on the half piece because I'm afraid of the orange material drying out, going opaque and flaking. I had that happen to another egg with a similar material inside"

Yea that could be a problem if you are cutting a cab. Do you have any idea why that happened? How long did it take? I have no idea of what kind of offer to make you for the slaps. And they are not really for sale at this time.

"Hey, if you're serious let me know what the average going price for uncut or cut eggs like this might be. I have asked my boss about selling material (I work for the nonprofit that owns the land this egg came from. We sell old pipe fittings on ebay. why not rocks?) but he's skeptical that there is a viable market. If I can take him info that yes, something like this would sell and bring in funds for summer scholarships or maintenance or something it's a lot more likely it'll become available sometime in the future"

OK so I am not sure of the exact size.

Do you think a donation of 5$ per slab plus postage would be fair? I would be willing to cut the best cab I see in the material and enter in the contest. You have posted so many pics of cool stones that I cant help thinking about a cab out of it. Here in Southern Indiana you just dont find rocks they have to be imported :LOLOL:

Bless
Shawn

Kaljaia

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2017, 09:38:23 PM »

I don't think this egg would be any good for cabs, as the yellow mineral (inside all the white structure) is fractured and crumbly, and more so as it dries out. Good display specimen though! All the photos are from the same egg. Two ends, two slabs and a central core so far. The muddy 'ball' part is slowly disintegrating off.

- Erika

Back

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2017, 10:47:19 AM »

Hi and thanks for the extra pics.

Now I see why it might not make good cabs but I suspect that there is 1 or 2 in there. Please keep us informed about your situation because you find some way cool stuff. At this time I have very little to trade but I hope next month that changes. I will be going to Flint Ridge and hope to get some good stuff.

Bless
shawn

fossilman

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2017, 08:19:00 AM »

Those are nice looking eggs for sure!! Most eggs go for $3.00 @ pound retail.....Cut eggs (average size) without polish average $4.00 to $6.00 per piece...(Baseball size and under)..Add polish,jumps up to $9.00 - $12.00 per piece..
God,family and life!!

rockherder

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2017, 04:30:20 PM »

Wow.
That's really a pretty egg!
I don't think I've ever seen a thunder egg like that.
-Doug in El Dorado Hills, CA

Mystonesgathernomoss

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2017, 01:02:44 PM »

So where is the reservoir bed. I noticed there is a lot of areas on this forum mentioned but not too specific. I also noticed there are a lot of members from all over. It would be fun to know where these are, because like me most of us probably don't have a clue where people are talking about when they use pet names??? Or is it just me?   :dontknow:  :smiley:

Ranger_Dave

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2017, 01:21:34 PM »

A nearest city and state would be helpful.

Kaljaia

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2017, 08:57:54 PM »

So where is the reservoir bed. I noticed there is a lot of areas on this forum mentioned but not too specific. I also noticed there are a lot of members from all over. It would be fun to know where these are, because like me most of us probably don't have a clue where people are talking about when they use pet names??? Or is it just me?   :dontknow:  :smiley:

A nearest city and state would be helpful.

(I shamelessly make up location names for my material because to my knowledge none of it is 'officially' documented or named.)

I would love nothing more than to drag all of you out for a grand T-egg adventure to the beds I have access to, but alas it is not to be. Private property, no public access, so I am deliberately vague with my location information. I apologize for that. I am trying to at least get permission to sell thunder eggs on line from these places but I don't have that yet either. Lawyers, liability insurance and land leases are to blame and my bosses have to navigate a lot of different layers of land use policy as it is; none of them want to tackle rockhounding in addition. I have access because I work for the organization that owns this land and I have a track record for respectful low-impact use and that's about all I can say.

However, there are lots and lots of other local public-access areas! Look up Donnybrook, Dutch Donny, Friend Ranch, Richardson's, Cougar Trap, etc. This website is great: https://thundereggs.jimdo.com/north-america/oregon/ashwood-area/ or just go to Richardson's, just outside Madras. They've been in the local t-egg business for a few generations now and have great beds of their own, as well as imported eggs from other sources. This summer's Prineville and Madras rock shows will probably have field trips to otherwise closed private property digs. Every cattle ranch south of Shaniko probably has an egg bed around it somewhere. The Ashwood road cuts through multiple egg beds. There's more in the Ochocos and Warm Springs is full of them.

I'm sorry I can't share more than pictures, but please do visit central Oregon sometime and see what great material it has to offer! If you stop by Donnybrook/Dutch Donny, you're already in my back yard. :)
- Erika

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 53 queries.