Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gerryrigged equipment for carving 'eggs'????  (Read 1032 times)

northcanadian

Gerryrigged equipment for carving 'eggs'????
« on: March 18, 2017, 08:16:06 AM »

Hi all:

I'm a newbie and really glad I found this site.  The works by you members are beautiful and inspiring.  I have been making spheres out of 15/8" geological drill core.  I had shown some to an artist friend and he said 'Can you make an egg'?...so I am wondering what kind of machine can I make to do same?  We have a lot of natural soapstone up here also so maybe that would be best to start experimenting with?
Thanks for any and all suggestions on this

Cheers

Roger

Jhon P

Re: Gerryrigged equipment for carving 'eggs'????
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 02:00:25 PM »

I think that they use a lapidary rock lathe to make eggs. Maybe you can put somthing together with a saw blade?

northcanadian

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 05:12:59 AM »

Thanks Jhon P

I do have a homemade spindle attachment on the end of my arbor and can screw the 1.625" diamond core bits onto same.  Was also thinking of using two separate bits, some chopped fiberglass and a frozen egg to make a mold (two halves)...then line (epoxy) the inside of the mold(s) with (maybe 50 grit) segments of polishing pads.

Maybe this would work for the soft soapstone(?)  I'll check further into the lathe setup.

Cheers

Roger

Slabbercabber

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 05:29:05 AM »

I would think that a full enclosure sanding jig would make it impossible to flush the dust.  Clogged abrasive doesn't cut worth a darn.  How about using an angle grinder with diamond cup or disc to cut on a spinning arbor?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 31 queries.