Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Two more to ID  (Read 751 times)

Susan

Two more to ID
« on: March 21, 2017, 09:00:37 PM »

Went to a club auction tonight and came home with two new pieces of rough that I really like. They are from an old collection that was donated to the club. Don't know what they are though so any help is appreciated!

The first four pictures are of a large chunk almost 6 pounds. It has some large fractures and looks like it could break apart with very little effort. Not necessarily a bad thing since I can't cut a piece this big anyway. Someone made a guess that this one was Cady Mountain Agate but I'm not finding pictures that look like it under that name. But I love the colors.

The next two pictures are a 2 pound chunk about 4" or so across and a couple inches thick. It looks nice and solid. I have had a slab of this material in the past but don't know what it is.

I also got what I think is a super bargain on a working Raytech 10" saw too! Will probably need some help when I get it cleaned up so I'll post in the equipment section.

Thanks in advance for any help on the ID's!

rocks2dust

Re: Two more to ID
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 09:41:22 AM »

The first reminds me strongly of Calico Lace agate. The rind on the second reminds me somewhat of some Laguna sagenite I've seen. Looks like nice material, and it will be interesting to see them cut.

Steve Ramsdell

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 02:53:46 PM »

Not sure on the first.  The second rock looks almost like what they called flame agate from Mexico. 
Steve

Susan

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2017, 11:11:02 AM »

Thanks! I'm not familiar with either, will look them up!  On the first one, I tapped the largest crack with a screwdriver and it broke apart really easily like I thought it would into two pieces. So I've added another picture of the insides below the others. Still too big for me to slab so I'll have to wait until I can get it cut to make any cabs but I think I'm going to like it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 30 queries.