Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Concow Black Jade, is it jade, any info please  (Read 2741 times)

55fossil

Concow Black Jade, is it jade, any info please
« on: April 14, 2017, 02:36:36 PM »

I am looking at buying some Concow Jade. I have heard everything from it is great to it is just basalt. Some people said it had green in the black.
   For the price I think it would be far better than Basanite for backing. If it really is black and takes a rich polish I do not care if it is jade but would want to know.

Anyone have any helpful information on this stuff, good or bad.  thanks,  neal

lapidaryrough

• www.lapidaryrough.com
Silicate life form

55fossil

Re: Concow Black Jade, is it jade, any info please
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2017, 08:00:26 AM »

Yep, did the google search and not much real info out there. Figured that was a sign it is not great stuff. The e-bay sale even says jade-like which was really an honest auction. But if it polishes a brilliant black I do not care.. as long as the price is good. People are always looking for a great black material for backing doublets and triplets. thanks

lapidaryrough

• www.lapidaryrough.com
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2017, 10:36:46 AM »

agatzied  petrified pine, in the 30s was caledl black jet. or black onyx 
Silicate life form

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2017, 10:49:27 AM »

I am not familiar with the Concow but I have had great luck with Basenite.  The material I get out of Mojave is awesome and takes a super polish.  I am just very careful to look at the rough in the field as the material with little to no specs in it tends to be darker in color and a smoother exterior.  I even cab the material.  If you want a piece I can find a chunk in the yard and send it to you, no guarantees that it meets your expectations but it works for me.  I included some pics of cabs and some doublets using it.

55fossil

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2017, 08:58:37 PM »

Thanks for the offer. I have a little basanite of top quality that I use for special pieces. It also made some incredible cabochons. This offer I have on the jade (?) is too good not to check on. But there is very little info on Concow Blak jade which makes me a bit apprehensive. I will post something next week after my trip to look at it.

thanks,  neal

Redrummd

• Global Moderator
    • Art In Stone
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2017, 09:30:30 AM »

I have worked with it and it is certainly Jade like.  I think it is probably a near Jade with a high Actinolite component. It is hard to polish as is most Jade.  It is not a deep black like Edwards Black.

55fossil

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2017, 01:59:23 PM »

thanks Michael....   If you are anyone else wants any ....  I will see what it is like and post pictures. It is suppose to be really cheap and I have a big pile to select from. I have to trade 1/2 rock and 1/2 cash to get the good deal.   There is some on e-bay for about $3 a pound I think but it looks a little more like basalt. Dealer seemed honest about what he has and it was black.
   more in a few days....

Troy Shaffer

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2017, 02:16:35 PM »

How we tell if it's really jade here in wyoming is to check the specific gravity. Jade is very dense and that will give a clear answer.
Troy

rockherder

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2017, 06:13:54 PM »

My father, brothers and I mined black concow jade for 20 or so years shipping a lot of it to Taiwan for use as wristwatch backing material.
The jade formed in lenses and was surrounded by lesser quality basalt.
The jade had a ringing sound when tapped with a pick while the basalt did not.
If you are buying concow jade make sure it "rings" and when grinding turns the water a milky color.

I have a copy (pdf) of the testing results from the Gemological Institute of America.
My father sent them a sample identified as "1 opaque greenish black sawn cube measuring approx. 52 x 50 x 48 mm"
They identified the sample as being "Jade, Nephrite".

When my mother passed away the yard contained probably 20-30 tons of black material.
A lot of the material went to people from the Shasta and Paradise Gem clubs (whom I am very thankful to them for all the help).
I'm sure there was some of the good quality stuff present but I'm also sure that there was a lot of basalt.
This stuff is excellent for backing opals.
-Doug in El Dorado Hills, CA

55fossil

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2017, 07:51:36 PM »

Rockherder:

Boy, you nailed it. The sad thing is many people believe the basalt is still some form of jade. The pieces I viewed were all basalt but were large enough they may have contained some jade. The guy I dealt with was completely honest bout what he had and told me to make my own decision. The real Concow Jade is beautiful. Lucky  I have green BC jade I like.  thanks for the story, it was interesting to know the history.

finegemdesigns

• finegemdesigns
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2017, 03:55:29 PM »

I have worked with it and it is certainly Jade like.  I think it is probably a near Jade with a high Actinolite component. It is hard to polish as is most Jade.  It is not a deep black like Edwards Black.

It depends on the piece. The best Concow could actually be blacker than Edwards since it is opaque even when backlit on a razor edge. In contrast Edwards is translucent on a backlit razor's edge thin piece.

finegemdesigns

• finegemdesigns
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2017, 03:59:09 PM »

My father, brothers and I mined black concow jade for 20 or so years shipping a lot of it to Taiwan for use as wristwatch backing material.
The jade formed in lenses and was surrounded by lesser quality basalt.
The jade had a ringing sound when tapped with a pick while the basalt did not.
If you are buying concow jade make sure it "rings" and when grinding turns the water a milky color.

I have a copy (pdf) of the testing results from the Gemological Institute of America.
My father sent them a sample identified as "1 opaque greenish black sawn cube measuring approx. 52 x 50 x 48 mm"
They identified the sample as being "Jade, Nephrite".

When my mother passed away the yard contained probably 20-30 tons of black material.
A lot of the material went to people from the Shasta and Paradise Gem clubs (whom I am very thankful to them for all the help).
I'm sure there was some of the good quality stuff present but I'm also sure that there was a lot of basalt.
This stuff is excellent for backing opals.

That is a very interesting .pdf file but I doubt the GIA would render the same result today since nephrite has been discredited as a distinct mineral.

rockherder

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2017, 06:43:08 PM »

Here is a picture of the saw we used to slice and dice the concow material as well as a pile over against the fence.
Pieces we pulled out and cut ranged from 10-20 #s to as much as 600.
I remember the big piece we used a "come-a-long" and boards to get it in the truck.
-Doug in El Dorado Hills, CA
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 49 queries.