Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dry sanding shed  (Read 2220 times)

lithicbeads

• Administrator
Dry sanding shed
« on: May 29, 2017, 08:10:06 PM »

Gerg and I are building a stone and mortar reataining wall below the wooden temporary wall which is situated below the lapidary dry sanding shed that is under construction .So far we have used basalt, glaucophane schist  and jade in the wall. The dry sanding shed will be coveralls and half mask respirator territory. I have always wanted to get very good at dry sanding  and this will finally give me the opportunity.

lithicbeads

• Administrator
Re: Dry sanding shed
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 07:05:07 PM »

Tomorrow is move in day. Gergis still has to verethane the cedar wood work around the windows and we need to hang shelves and paint the door as well as finishing the retaining walls but machines will begin to go in the auxiliary shop in the afternoon. goodearth is very shy and declined to have his picture taken but he did a wonderful job as did his crew of helpers Gergis, Packlithic and my rockhound friend who came over from eastern Washington to work for a week Kyle. drill press  ,a couple of cab machines , a tumbler or three  and polishing arbor  will live in this shed  as well as the Richardson dry sander. Lots of windows and great natural light will make some of my tougher potted plants happy and now I can  flesh out the garden the shop overlooks. Lots of work but all my equipment will now be usable. Kiln shed and kiln next.

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2017, 07:49:59 PM »

It looks fabulous!  Lots of hard work, but it's going to be so worth it.   :icon_sunny:
Robin

Enchantra

• Head Bead Nut
  • Administrator
  • Insane Bead Woman
    • Enchanted Regalia
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 09:40:20 PM »

That is one awesome shed!   :icon_sunny:
Looks great.  Now you get to have fun with it and play in it!

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2017, 08:07:36 PM »

Move in day. Lots of shelves , peg boards etc to go but we moved a lot of equipment in today.A speed demon that I use for carving  is in there as is a slant cabber for touch ups  and Gergis's cab machine. A six inch lortone unit with an expando  is next then my
Maxant cabber from the olden days which is getting adapted for making focal beads. My soldering stand to do  the bits to horn soldering for my ultrasonic drills is in there and will be used there. An old cabinet cabber will be used for two curved wheels  that weigh ten pounds each and finally a drill press for the water swivel drill. Lots  going to happen there.

edgarscale

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2017, 09:01:52 PM »

thanks for posting pictures.  really helps too see what people have in tools and the type of environment they work in.  that yellow colored machine in the top picture.  i bought one and have not used it yet.  what's it called and what type of disks are you using with it?  in picture three -the maxant- what does that one do? in picture four, is that your soldering stand?

50% rockhound and 50% wire wrap
       ='s one great pendant

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2017, 09:45:03 PM »

That is the soldering stand in pic 4. the yellow slant cabber uses flat discs . I use the " All-U-Need" diamond pads. I don't cut cabs on the machine rather it is used in a production facility to fix problems such as scratches on a stone very quickly. I use worn in pads dry just touching the problem area of the stone to the pad as I am rolling the stone. When doing batches of stones it can be a real time saver and it is easier for me to see the contact point than with a standard flat lap. The Maxant is a automatic cabber that cuts the profile and domes the cab. They are very difficult to set up if you want to make calibrated cabs. They use standard diamond wheels not proprietary shaped wheels so it is quite efficient in the long run. Another machine put out of business by Chinese manufacturing.

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2017, 08:12:16 PM »

i have the identical slant cabbler, my speed control is FUBAR'd though.
I use a foot pedal off my flex shaft tool.
I only used mine once though, i didnt like it but its great for flat lapping or a felt polishing wheel.

I like to see the surface i am cutting for some reason, vertical wheels are my favorite

sealdaddy

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2017, 06:05:09 AM »

I like to see the surface i am cutting for some reason, vertical wheels are my favorite

Is vertical that much better for seeing what you are doing to the material, friend?
(You and Frank are making me think about doing lapidary again)

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2017, 08:15:38 AM »

I prefer the slant flat lap to the regular flat lap because it is easier on my neck but that may not be the case for others. I have  cervical stenosis and how I hold my head to see the stone can make or break the day quickly.

sealdaddy

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2017, 09:59:14 AM »

I prefer the slant flat lap to the regular flat lap because it is easier on my neck but that may not be the case for others. I have  cervical stenosis and how I hold my head to see the stone can make or break the day quickly.

ok, Gotcha, friend
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 44 queries.