Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Rainbow Calsilica  (Read 2772 times)

Gemscholar

Rainbow Calsilica
« on: September 04, 2017, 10:21:51 AM »

Can anyone tell me if Rainbow Calsilica can be cast in place, using Lost wax method, and centrifugal spin casting?
Before I ruin some cabs, Id sure would appreciate anyone's opinion here.,  Thanks all

Krupp

Slabbercabber

Re: Rainbow Calsilica
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 10:49:15 AM »

I suspect you will be the one to tell the rest of us.  I would try aiming a torch at a piece of scrap first to see how it reacts.

Gemscholar

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 04:46:58 PM »

So...  i applied some flame from an Oxy Acetelyne rig,  light bushy flame, not too hot,  Burnt the Calsilica to a cinder in less than 30 seconds!!! 

Well, that answers that.  HAHA.   :laughing6:

55fossil

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2017, 04:54:33 PM »

My understanding is that is one of those manufactured "rocks". I know they call it natural like all the koolbaugh material that is full of glue.  But it is damn pretty stuff and makes nice cabochons.

finegemdesigns

• finegemdesigns
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 08:44:18 AM »

rocks2dust

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 10:00:57 AM »

I think the video presents what may have been the original source (glaze runoff from a tile factory). I also strongly suspect that most of the current supply is hardly "accidental" and no longer out of Mexico, but instead manufactured on-demand from Asian sources. Even 5-6 years ago I recall seeing clean block chunks being offered that looked like they'd never been anywhere near the dirty conditions of an industrial dump. Just a variation on the formulas and methods used to reproduce fordite, block turquoise, etc., IMO. One of the easier and cheaper materials for them to replicate on demand (despite the nonsense about "forbidden" pigments "no longer available" sellers use to justify high prices - we're talking about countries where there are almost no regulations).

edgarscale

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2017, 10:36:47 AM »

could we not make our own "fordite"?  i have old paints in various amounts stored for "when ever".  any ideas on how to go about this?  what's the difference between auto paints and house paints?  or better paints to use.  what about stains?  what about artist acrylic paints and oil paints?  i'd really like to hear input on this.

50% rockhound and 50% wire wrap
       ='s one great pendant

Slabbercabber

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2017, 11:43:59 AM »

could we not make our own "fordite"?  i have old paints in various amounts stored for "when ever".  any ideas on how to go about this?  what's the difference between auto paints and house paints?  or better paints to use.  what about stains?  what about artist acrylic paints and oil paints?  i'd really like to hear input on this.

Automotive paint is made to be super hard and non porous.  These are enamels and laquers.  Wall paint is made to be soft and not chip.  It is also porous.  House paint is meant to actually chalk with age.  These are a completely different type of product to say nothing of the enormous difference in cost.

55fossil

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2017, 11:48:07 AM »

Fordite???   Old automotive paint was much different than todays. Yep, full of toxic stuff that made the paint hard, last and not fade. So, we still might be able to make it. A little car paint and steal your kids easy bake oven up in the attic. neal

rocks2dust

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2017, 12:30:57 PM »

Today's automotive paints are far superior in hardness and durability to older paints (which technologies are still available). Until the mid-1920s, autos were painted using multiple thin coats of brushed-on linseed oil paint (basically same as the house paints of that time). In luxury models a combination of paints and varnishes were developed. These finishes lasted only a few years in regular outdoor use. This changed with the development of nitrocellulose lacquer (used mid-1920s to 1970s), which coincided with adoption of spray-on application. From the 1930s to 1970s, alkyd enamels and acrylic lacquer were also used (again through the 1970s). Dulling and fading were also a problem with these materials in real-world UV exposure. First in Europe, and then by U.S. manufacturers (in the 1980s), polyurethanes and acrylic urethanes replaced earlier formulations, and are basically what are still in use today, although there has been a steady reduction in volatiles and an increase in UV resistance.

Pigments represent the non-volatile toxic substances in both older and newer automotive paints (as they are in all paint). With the exception of lead (pb), toxic pigments are still used. Even lead pigment is only banned in house paint in N. America and Europe (still allowed in some other paints and coatings), and is still widely used in some nations.

Some manufacturers are now offering auto wraps for some color options, so perhaps all auto paint will become a thing of the past. As lacquer/varnish and paint technologies date back over 6000 years, I expect that it will still be easy enough for someone to replicate old finishes and "accidental stones" like Fordite and Calsilica whenever there is the slightest potential to turn a profit.

A little car paint and steal your kids easy bake oven up in the attic. neal
That thought had occurred to me, too. Getting hard to find the 60 watt incandescent bulbs to power those ovens, though :grin:

edgarscale

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2017, 01:09:35 PM »

i have always believed that we can think, we can do and we can create anything with a little ingenuity, skill, luck and even some help.  i still do at my ripe age.  fordite sounded easy and sounded like fun to make.  a simple "its very or extremely toxic" would have done and i thank rock2dust for a fuller explanation.   

this forum is great, i believe everyone smart and not so smart, everyone educated and non educated, i believe in enjoyment and friendliness and friendly competition, and i believe all questions and inquiries no matter how ignorant or intelligent should be replied to with tolerance and respect.    mary..

='s one great pendant

55fossil

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2017, 05:59:04 PM »

Not sure if I might be the intolerant one.. sorry
 :occasion14:
But roccks2dust did state that "With the exception of lead (pb), toxic pigments are still used".  I do not know the specifics but that was my understanding. I worked with Ford, GM and other auto parts manufacturers while I live in southern Michigan and have been through many auto plants, steel mills and parts manufacturing plants. I saw the pollution first hand and watched the Rouge River turn into a Sewer. So, yeah, I will try and get off my horse for a bit. Just want everyone to be safe.  neal

PhilNM

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2017, 06:08:22 PM »

If you want some "fordite" go to a local automotive paint shop and ask if you can have the globs of paint that accumulate in their paint booth/curing rooms.  They usually are happy to have their equipment cleaned up a bit. Specially when you go back and Give them a couple finished pendants as thanks. You end up with a source for life! And the colors vary every time.
To make your own calsilica, buy a bunch of colors of pottery slip and build/make your own. Just get a pottery place to bake it for you when done.

edgarscale

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2017, 07:57:29 PM »

"fordite"   good idea on the automotive shop.  we have a place here that makes aluminum tire rims.  could the spray paint they use on the rims work the same way?  i worked in the automotive paint shop for a very short period, 20 years ago, so do not remember the cleaning part of it other than having to wear white overalls with covered head, googles and a face mask. 

"calsilica"   i did pick up some clay from a local pottery shop and can make my own slip (youtube). i also picked up a kiln, both bought earlier this summer.  once my daughter rewires it, i can learn to bake it myself.  thanks for the ideas.  just need to think about what dyes i would want.

safety first, always   :occasion14:

='s one great pendant

Bluetangclan

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2017, 10:09:49 AM »

Man-made? Is this the same as Rainbow Calsite? From a mine in Mexico that I have seen a picture of a guy standing next to a seam in a rock wall as tall as he was?
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 54 queries.