Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JASPER OF SOME SORT?  (Read 1192 times)

HOOKEDONROCKS

JASPER OF SOME SORT?
« on: November 04, 2017, 09:52:30 PM »

anybody have a name of some sort?
before i make up my own?
California stream rocks

55fossil

Re: JASPER OF SOME SORT?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 05:34:35 PM »

Making up names of rocks you find is okay, until you put them up for sale. I see you are looking for a proper name which is great. But with the limited info you give on where you found the stone it can be very difficult to identify the jasper. I do not like to identify where I find my rock and much of it is unidentified and not named when I sell it or make it into something. There is far too much improperly named / identified jasper and agate already on the market. If you are going to sell rock you owe it to the rock collectors and others to not improperly identify a rock. Naming a rock find is generally reserved for a strike where a minable amount is found or it is certain that the find is small and restricted. 

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 08:30:10 PM »

We have lots of unidentifiable jasper in streams here and we just call them jasper stream cobbles which here is understood to mean they are likely unique. The second piece is very unusual .

ducalion

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 01:16:13 AM »

Looking at it it doesn't seem like it's been in that stream very long, I'd look around and try and find the deposit then when you find it call it "some sort of Jasper". By the way, I think that that's some nice some sort of Jasper Jasper you got there!

rocks2dust

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2017, 08:51:04 AM »

You could call it after the name of the stream, as has been done for many, assuming there isn't some other jasper already named after that stream.

SkySgt

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2017, 07:00:16 PM »

Looks like some sort of brecciated jasper in a clear to milky chalcedony.  FWIW, if I were to make up a name, I'd just call it a brecciated jaspagate.

Kaljaia

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2017, 11:21:53 AM »

I'd call it by two names: its material name (breccated jasp/agate) plus its location name (the name of the stream, or a nearby landmark, or something else that makes sense to you) For example, 'Biggs picture jasper' uses that naming convention. That way, you and any future owners know both what it is and where it came from. That seems to be the trend. For many new finds, there simply aren't existing recorded names. I hunt in a new area, so I give my material location names I know and recognize because it helps me remember which specific hill or draw the stuff came from. The more it gets used, the easier it is to track down, find your own old forum posts, or trace photos of what people have done with your material if you trade or sell it.

People who used to rock hunt in my location (60 years ago) called everything by the old ranch name, which is fine until you try to reconstruct locations. Congrats, that ranch is over 100 square miles. Good luck figuring out where anything is in this lifetime. Having a location name tied to a mapped nearby landmark gives future generations a starting point to retrace your steps. So sure, name it after the creek! write it on a card, rubberband it to the rock, and when you dig it back out of the bin 10 years from now you'll know where it came from too.
- Erika

I rock hunt in the Antelope/Ashwood area of the John Day river basin in Oregon.

HOOKEDONROCKS

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2017, 02:22:03 PM »

THANK YOU
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 41 queries.