Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gem Silica, Chrysocolla, Malachite Values, info needed  (Read 1833 times)

55fossil

Gem Silica, Chrysocolla, Malachite Values, info needed
« on: January 06, 2018, 01:05:25 PM »

I have about 30 pounds of end cuts which is a mix of Gem Silica, chrysocolla and Malachite. I am looking for a web page that may have info on identifying and valuing this type of material. I can post pictures if someone has good info who knows this material. Some of it has reddish browns and some seems to have a bit of matrix. A couple pieces are brecciated material that welded back together with silica. Brilliant blues in some areas, greens and clear silica. Mostly looking for info so I can tell people what it is after I cut cabs.
     I will have a couple specimen pieces for sale after I learn a bit more. One has a beautiful face of quartz crystals with a lot of color.....

thanks all,  Neal

Slabbercabber

Re: Gem Silica, Chrysocolla, Malachite Values, info needed
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2018, 03:45:24 PM »

The materials you are talking about are valued according to their beauty and desireability rather than a standard material value.  In the end it is whatever the buyer is willing to pay.  The folks here are way too nice to say anything negative so this may not be the place to get unbiased values.  On the other hand, it sounds like very special material.  I'd love to see some photos.

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2018, 03:51:48 PM »

Yes, please post pictures!   :icon_sunny:
Robin

55fossil

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2018, 06:10:19 PM »

I will pictures, hopefully tonight if they come out and after I resize them. While beauty and the market do determine part of the value there is a standard value to quality gem stones, even jaspers and agate. ie The set price from Larry for his Willow Creek jasper is $16 a pound. Phil selects out some of the best material as well as other sellers and the cost goes up. Some of the less desirable Willow Creek can be had for a few dollars  pound. This happens from people like myself. I cut the rough and select what I want for my cabochons and sell the remainder cheaper than I purchased it. Still good quality but unneeded by myself.
   Speaking of ...  Look at Rarerocksandgems.com auctions. Boxes of leftover plume for under $10 a pound. Select pieces seem to hit $100 a pound and the stock price is $25 a pound. But there is a stock price for mine run.
   As for all the nice people here I do agree. Myself, I really appreciate honest opinions. Beauty (value) is in the eye of the beholder. Diamonds bore me and many great jaspers do nothing for me. A beautiful piece of Graveyard Point Plume Agate, even with a pit or two and wowser, hide my wallet. Sometimes we have to agree to disagree, but be honest.. Open discussion is welcomed by many of us.   thanks,  Neal

55fossil

Re: Gem Silica, Chrysocolla, Malachite Values, info needed Pictures added
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2018, 06:45:31 PM »

Okay, first so-so pictures. I will add more pictures with additional comments. I have not figured out how to post multiple high resolution pictures,  sorry.

55fossil

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2018, 06:48:44 PM »

next pics..   first piece is greener but has great silica content and nice patterns.

second pic is a thick slab. a lot of blue and silica rich

55fossil

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2018, 06:53:49 PM »

last piece, maybe more tomorrow

2 or 3 pounds of possibly superb Chrysocolla.   Tell me the good and bad you guys see. Some of you have seen the best and worst at the shows and seen the prices. You will not hurt my feelings, I own uglier rock that I paid more for..... Neal

not sure if the reddish / brown indicates a specific region it came from. This piece has a fair amount of this color  in one area not shown.

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2018, 07:06:35 AM »

Good to see the photos. Larger pieces of clean translucent silica with well-saturated chrysocolla color bring very high prices. Smaller pieces with that color only drop off a little. As the blue gets lighter the price drops off pretty quickly.

The "copper complex" ores like you have are all over AZ, but some of the bolder patterns remind me of ores from the Globe-Miami area. Maybe more down toward Superior. All in same general area. Black tenorite (melaconite) patterns in predominantly blue/green chrysocolla and malachite command higher prices than predominantly dark pieces.

Pricing is just like slabbercabber said, but nicely patterned pieces are an easy sell for top cab prices.

ileney

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2018, 07:19:26 AM »

That top piece with the blue bubbly quartz reminds me of a small similar piece I had that produced a spectacular cab. That blue bubbly part looked like a river running against a black background in a landscape to me. I’d love to. See what you make with it.

Stonemon

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2018, 09:18:53 AM »

Can I put one up?  I acquired this about 40 years ago and do not remember where it is from and have been too chicken to put it in the saw.
Not sure if anyone recognizes a source. Or potential value.
This is a great thread Neal and I hope you do not mind me jumping in...
Bill

Bill

ileney

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2018, 09:48:10 AM »

Wow! That’s pretty too!

55fossil

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2018, 12:14:10 PM »

No problem Bill.       It must be worth at least $25....  sorry   That is a beauty and if we ever figure out a value I would love to buy it / trade.....
Man that is pretty.

PS:   I am going on e-bay to check closed listings  which sold for Gem Silica / Chrysocolla. That shows what people were willing to pay for it. The old " I saw a piece for sale for $800 a pound does not mean crap. What people are willing to pay counts. Yes, there are serious shoppers who buy on e-bay.

I had a cousin who only collected the very best rock. He cut the good stuff and guess what?  When he left all that was left was the junk he did not want to put in his saw!!!  Nope, was not the best or even very good. He cut or sold all the good stuff.  LOL

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2018, 01:00:14 PM »

Closed listings is a good idea. Current market prices, since everything goes up and down over time.

Bill - that IS a nice piece. Pretty large chunk of very good color there.

Found photo of a pendant  that has some of the best blue color I've ever seen here: https://www.gemologyonline.com/Forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=21058 

Found a site that says they have rough for sale here:
http://www.arizonalapidary.com/lapidary-rough/gem-silica-2/

Vince

LazyJConcepts

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2018, 05:18:52 PM »

Definitely looks like some malachite with chrysocolla

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LazyJConcepts

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2018, 05:20:04 PM »

I would be interested in getting some when you find out some more information

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 51 queries.