Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Heavy metals from carving  (Read 3987 times)

Kaljaia

Heavy metals from carving
« on: December 18, 2018, 11:20:29 PM »

Saw this article today: https://torontolife.com/city/life/my-beautiful-death/
Thought the warning about carving materials with unknown heavy metal concentrations might have application to the lapidary community as well. I know shells, like bone and rock, are one of those things you don't ever want to breathe dust from but I'm not sure if a standard dust mask would have helped in her case. Regardless of how a toxin got to where it is, probably not a good idea to ingest or inhale it! Toxic art supplies are nothing new, but I can see how someone might not suspect seashells for heavy metal concentration.
- Erika

I rock hunt in the Antelope/Ashwood area of the John Day river basin in Oregon.

lithicbeads

• Administrator
Re: Heavy metals from carving
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2018, 08:47:53 AM »

Animals and plants use heavy metal concentrations in their war against predators.  Tree bark is a prime example as it is loaded with human  -insect poisons. Remarkably tee bark from  saw mills has long been used in a chipped fermented  " soup " form to feed beef cows .It was just a few years ago that this practice was stopped.

55fossil

Re: Heavy metals from carving
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2018, 05:25:59 PM »

The first post is dead on. Best to just be over cautious but not crazy.  As for tree bark;  some is good, others are bad.  Aspirin comes to mind.  But I think I would prefer grass fed beef.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.372 seconds with 32 queries.