Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help ?  (Read 1264 times)

lithicbeads

• Administrator
Help ?
« on: June 05, 2017, 08:01:26 PM »

This rough was collected in California and I used to know what it is called. Can anyone help with an i.d. ?

55fossil

Re: Help ?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 08:08:25 PM »

I have seen similar rock from around Idaho Falls, ID. It is called Tree Agate and is collected by the son of one of Mr. Scarrow who is an old time Bruneau miner.  Not certain but very similar material.

gemfeller

• Art Cut Gems
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 08:13:57 PM »

It looks somewhat like Mariposite but I could be wrong by a country mile.

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 09:29:53 PM »

I have seen the same material from Idaho before.  I have collected it personally in California though, it is from the Northern Cady Mountains, North and East of Barstow California.  It occurs near the Sagenite Agate area in the North Cady's that Mary Francis Strong wrote about in her Collecting guides.  I have some of it in a bucket on the side of the house but would have to dig for it at this point.  Pat McMahon might have a sample of the same North Cady Plume on his site for reference.  I will look quickly on Pats site and see if I can grab a link to it.

I checked his site and he only has 5 Cady Mountains images now, his site changed since he brought out his book on Agates with Inclusions.  One of the 5 images is from Baxter Wash (Which is North Cady's) and is the material I mentioned it just doesn't have the intense green that is also found in the plume from that area.  His picture (also the only picture of it in his book - just checked) just has some faint Green in the center of the plume so it is not a great side by side comparison to the one you show.
 Next time I go digging in buckets I will look for the sample but I can attest to the piece you have being identical to the material I have collected there.

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2017, 06:56:46 AM »

It could be Christmas Tree agate from the Cady's.
Robin

finegemdesigns

• finegemdesigns
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2018, 02:25:49 AM »

Looks like Prueheart Plume Agate from Idaho.

Slabbercabber

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2018, 04:17:51 AM »

I would call that tree agate.  I have some from India that looks almost identical.  I also have some from Big Bend area of Texas that is similar but not as intense.

kent

• Fine Woodwork and Lapidary
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2018, 07:24:31 AM »

Its a great piece whatever it is !
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 41 queries.