Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Inland Swaptop  (Read 2582 times)

Greylinghunter

Inland Swaptop
« on: May 12, 2016, 07:56:08 AM »

Has anyone used the inland Swaptop?
Seems like a good affordable solution for the casual rock hobby person.
Being retired I can not afford a huge investment. A little shocked at what lapidary equipment cost.
I only want to cut and polish small specimens.

jakesrocks

Re: Inland Swaptop
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2016, 08:35:12 AM »

There are much better machines for not much more $$.

The Inland swaptop is under powered. The motors burn out easily. The water drip system will most likely break after only a few uses.

I don't have the swaptop, but I do have the Inland 8" flat lap. It sits in my basement gathering dust.

If I were to rate the Inland machines, I'd give them 2 thumbs down.
A day spent without learning something new is a day wasted.

bilquest

• Rocks and Stuff
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2016, 09:03:56 AM »

Having been in the same boat, I did a lot of research on what was the best starter rig. IMHO, the choices for an entry level setup are:

- Inland Swaptop
- Ameritool horizontal lap
- Hi-Tech (All-U-Need)
- Rock Rascal (Model T)
- Graves Cabmate

In my case, I chose the Rock Rascal and was not disappointed. Even after graduating to my Highland Park frankenstein unit, I still use my RR saw for trimming. It's a real workhorse! Also, with the Rock Rascal and Graves machines, you can trade out any number of 6" wheels whereas the horizontal units are more proprietary. I also tend to question plastic housing when working the stone. I know plastic is made these days to be tough as steel so it's probably just a personal hangup.

Keep an eyeball on Craigslist and eBay. I got my Rock Rascal from CL for $210 with motor. Good luck, and I wish you all the best in your lapidary adventures!

Greylinghunter

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2016, 10:12:49 AM »

Thanks all. After additional research the Swaptop is out. I think better off with Lortone or Covington for the combo units.
I am glad I found this forum.

jakesrocks

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2016, 11:47:40 AM »

There was a nice Lortone combo unit on ebay yesterday at a good price, but it's not there today. Someone must have snapped it up quick. Keep an eye on ebay & other selling sites. Good used equipment at reasonable prices show up all the time. Also keep an eye on estate sales in your area. I've scored bunches of good equipment from estates. Usually it's the kids selling off the parents estate, and they have no idea what the equipment is really worth.
A day spent without learning something new is a day wasted.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 35 queries.