Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SiC belts  (Read 1788 times)

drnihili

SiC belts
« on: February 19, 2015, 06:37:07 PM »

So, I finally got the expanding wheel set up and retired the thumper.  This raises the question of what belts to get.  The plan is to get diamond wheels in 80 and 220 and then use belts after that.  The wheel came with a 600 grit belt.  What should we be looking at for belts to get us from a 220 diamond wheel up to ready to polish?

PhilNM

• Global Moderator
Re: SiC belts
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 07:04:56 PM »

60/80/100 to 220 to 400 to 600 to 1200 to 3000 then buff polish. If it merits further shine, 3000 to  14,000 to 50,000 to an oxide on a buff of some sort. Every rock type is different and needs different handling.

drnihili

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 07:46:14 PM »

Thanks Phil.  It sounds like its roughly double the grit at each stage. and the higher you go the better.  I'm afraid I'm nowhere near knowing what each rock needs, I'm having a hard enough time figuring out what each rock *is*. :D

Teresa, on the other hand, will surely appreciate having the proper tools in her much more capable hands.

PhilNM

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 11:22:39 AM »

when to stop? That's easy...  when it gets nice and shiny, no need to go further. SOme rocks don't need to go beyond 3000, and some look lots better at 14K or etc... Most rocks you can stop at 3000. A good clue is if it's expensive rock, go high. If it's not, then go low. But time and experience will tell you, and that;'s the only real way of learning.

drnihili

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 12:41:22 PM »

So, I don't see SiC belts above 1000, after that they seem to go to diamond, as does the price.

One thing I'm unclear on is the difference between sanding and polishing.  You say to sand until it's nice and shiny.  What, then, it the difference between sanding at, say 10k, and polishing/buffing?

PhilNM

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2015, 06:34:15 PM »

I used to get mine from Thunderbird jewelers supply, but stopped using Sic years ago. Maybe John at http://www.jsgemslapidary.com/ will speak up.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 37 queries.