Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Black silk kumihimo braid for my dendritic jade pendant  (Read 2575 times)

LithicStrings

Black silk kumihimo braid for my dendritic jade pendant
« on: December 10, 2015, 08:49:10 PM »

Lithicbeads made me this wonderful dendritic jade pendant.  I made an 8 strand black silk kumihimo braid and used one of his little grossular garnet beads as a clasp.  The braid is textured by using thicker strands on 4 of the bobbins and thinner on the other 4. 

wampidy

• A ring on the hand is worth two on the bush
Re: Black silk kumihimo braid for my dendritic jade pendant
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 03:45:46 AM »

Now that is way cool and the clasp is awesome. I need to attempt that. Notice that I said attempt and it will be factory cord melted on the end so it does not unravel. The cord is way way beyond me.
Jim
I threw a stone into the air.
It came to earth "ouch"
I now know where.
You can quote me on this, I have the scar.

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 06:26:08 AM »

Beautiful and what a clever idea for then clasp.  It works so well together.  Do you have a particular place you like to get your cord from?
Robin

LithicStrings

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 07:41:17 AM »

I buy silk from the Weaving Works in Seattle.  It comes on spools and you buy as much as you need.  I keep alot of black and white on hand, and can bring stones (and lithicbeads) to match up special colors.  Its yarn-like, about 1 mm - not at all like the Japanese silk that is traditional, but I like the feel when wearing it and its readily available.

I sometimes use embroidery cotton instead of silk. It is shinier, and thinner, which works well if I need more control over the size of the braid.  Some colors are available in spools, which makes it more economical  Just regular DMC cotton.

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2015, 04:04:19 PM »

Thanks!  I want to try kumihimo and see if I can make something that would look ok with the pendants I make.  It would be nice to be able to make braids with complimentary colors to the stone and use those to display the pendants instead of just putting out the pendants.  Providing a sterling chain with each one can get costly and it's been my experience that people already have favorite chains that they already own and use.
Robin

sealdaddy

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2016, 05:19:06 AM »

Awesome in every way, LithicStrings  :blob1:
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 37 queries.