Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sparkly crystals in green  (Read 2271 times)

drnihili

Sparkly crystals in green
« on: March 06, 2015, 11:57:37 AM »

So I picked this rock up off the side of our road because it had a great blue green color to it.  Unfortunately, it's too big for my saw, but I managed to get a piece off of it and put a bit of polish on a face.  The rock seems to be composed of a variety of small crystals, that seem somewhat fibrous and are oriented in different directions. Overall, the rock is about a 4.5 Mohs, though there is some variation based on which part is scratched..  It's got some nice color, and catches the sunlight will with all the different crystal faces.  The pictures below are close ups of about a one inch piece.  The real close up is taken through a 9x field microscope to show the crystal and mineral structure.  The squarish crystals are much harder than the light green mineral.  In the second picture you can see that the polished face shows some differential acceptance of the polish.

The rock seems to have potential to me.  Any ideas what it is or how best to get the best outcome with it?  Would a picture of the whole rock be helpful?

Enchantra

• Head Bead Nut
  • Administrator
  • Insane Bead Woman
    • Enchanted Regalia
Re: Sparkly crystals in green
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 12:08:44 PM »

Looks like perhaps a variety of serpentine.

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 02:50:35 PM »

Olivine or olivine basalt. People have a lot of trouble getting a good looking stone from olivine as it loses it's punch when polished.

MrsWTownsend

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 02:29:06 PM »

How big is it?

drnihili

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2015, 08:43:20 PM »

The piece in the picture is about one inch.  The rock it is from is probably about 6x8x14.  I'm going to cut/break it in two with an angle grinder and some brute force and see if I can cut a slab or five from it.

MrsWTownsend

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2015, 01:51:40 PM »

When in doubt, cab it!  :D

I'll cut anything once, twice if I like it!  :D  Oh I am making that my new avatar tag line!!!  :D

My 12" saw would probably accommodate it if things don't work out for you.

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2015, 07:26:30 PM »

Take some to the Monroe poultry show tomorrow and ask Emma if it is dunite.

MrsWTownsend

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2015, 08:06:30 PM »

If it isn't you should start a poll on the forum and let us make up a new name for it.   :icon_sunny:

drnihili

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2015, 12:23:57 AM »

I'll give that a shot Frank, thanks.  I dunno if it's dunite, but it's definitely dunnoite. :WEEEE:

drnihili

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2015, 12:25:32 AM »

If it isn't you should start a poll on the forum and let us make up a new name for it.   :icon_sunny:

Well I just got an angle grinder, so I should be able to finagle a piece that will fit in my saw.  Then we'll see what it looks like all cut up nice and proper.

drnihili

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2015, 10:40:46 PM »

Based on what I've read so far while researching dunite, I think this is very likely in the periodite family, probably with some chromite mixed in.  I don't know if it's pure enough to count as dunite, but that seems to be pretty close.

drnihili

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2015, 06:01:42 PM »

Well, I got my dates mixed up and showed up for the poultry show on the wrong day.  I'll try to stick a piece in the post for your perusal.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 49 queries.