Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Highland park  (Read 13145 times)

mearic71

• Peach Photo
Highland park
« on: October 15, 2017, 07:24:05 PM »

Just found out highland park moved 5 minutes away from me. Might be time to start looking into getting a rock saw. Thoughts? Anyone use the their new saws.
Thanks
Mike

Barclay

Re: Highland park
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2017, 07:25:21 PM »

I have not but i heard that their quality has suffered since the moved most of their manufacturing to China.

lapidaryrough

• www.lapidaryrough.com
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 08:50:33 PM »

Highland-Park's  last saw was made in 1983.  ( I have a 1982 24'' HP-Saw, ) Dean at Diamond Pacific owns the old highland park name.
Silicate life form

Slabbercabber

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 05:16:36 AM »

From the Highland Park website.

"We chose the Highland Park Style slab saw because we believe this design is the very best.  We admire the pioneering work that HP did to create saws that are still in use after 50 years.  Before building our own saws, we first checked to see if there were any active HP trademarks or patents.  We found that there had been a trademark filed (but never granted) in 2005 but was abandoned in 2008 by Barranca Diamond.  We had heard that Contempo had purchased Highland Park related assets so we called up Bill Ritter (who owned Contempo) to see if what he could tell us about it.  We had a great chat with him and learned a little about HP’s history and he verified that there were never any patents on the designs.  Based this research, we filed for the Highland Park Lapidary trademark in 2009 was granted it in 2010 by the US Patent and Trademark Office.  While we are in no way associated with the original Highland Park Manufacturing Company, the equipment we manufacture meets or exceeds original specifications and our replacement parts fits much of the equipment made in the 1950’s 60’s and 70’s."

bobby1

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2017, 11:05:14 AM »

Our club - The Mother Lode Mineral Society - bought two Highland Park saws, a 12" and a 14" about 6 months ago for use in the Modesto Junior College lapidary shop and the students are very pleased by their ease of use and  performance. The classes have about 18 students in the day class and 20 in the evening classes so they really get a workout. They replaced two older Lortone saws that had been used extensively for many years. We also recently bought a Highland Park ultrasonic drill that we are currently learning about and preparing to introduce in the classroom.
Bob

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2017, 03:46:58 PM »

From the Highland Park website.

"We chose the Highland Park Style slab saw because we believe this design is the very best.  We admire the pioneering work that HP did to create saws that are still in use after 50 years.  Before building our own saws, we first checked to see if there were any active HP trademarks or patents.  We found that there had been a trademark filed (but never granted) in 2005 but was abandoned in 2008 by Barranca Diamond.  We had heard that Contempo had purchased Highland Park related assets so we called up Bill Ritter (who owned Contempo) to see if what he could tell us about it.  We had a great chat with him and learned a little about HP’s history and he verified that there were never any patents on the designs.  Based this research, we filed for the Highland Park Lapidary trademark in 2009 was granted it in 2010 by the US Patent and Trademark Office.  While we are in no way associated with the original Highland Park Manufacturing Company, the equipment we manufacture meets or exceeds original specifications and our replacement parts fits much of the equipment made in the 1950’s 60’s and 70’s."
Although this may be what they have written in response to the Highland design,  You may also notice that the new Chinese made Highland saws have also borrowed heavily if not more the Lortone designs for their 12" and 10" models that they now also make in China.   

Now my personal experience with Highland park was buying an 18" saw before I found out that they really weren't related to the original Highland company.  I asked to also buy all the parts that would wear and need replacing and the sold me a couple bushing but not the split nut that is brass and is what controls the vice down the feed rod This is probably be the first thing that wears out on your saw.  I tried ordering a new set from Highland.  It took me over 4 months to get the split nuts meanwhile the saw was out of commission.  I had also ordered the 10 and 12" saws and waited months and each time the date got shoved back again and again.  I did not get updates from Highland at any time, they sat quiet so each month I would have to call and ask where are my saws or parts and every time it would oh we ran into some issue and they have been pushed back another 3 to 4 weeks.  I finally called Lortone and asked if Highland had bought any rights to their saws and then cancelled my orders with Highland.   Good luck if you need parts for the saws or even if they don't have the saw ready to ship.  I'll spend the extra money and buy lortone.

The one thing I do like about Highland is that they have a better adjustment for the arbor plate that allows you to micro adjust the blade from the top without having to try to hold a wrench under the arbor plate in the oil like the Lortone.

mearic71

• Peach Photo
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2017, 06:08:27 PM »

Thanks for the information. Me thinks I will take I ride over and see if I can kick some tires and do a little more research.
Thanks again
Mike

bilquest

• Rocks and Stuff
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2017, 07:30:09 PM »

Please report back. I've creeped the HP website many times and watched all the videos about their saw enhancements. They certainly seem to be building on good ideas and introducing some great innovations in an otherwise dead industry. Their prices are great as well! However, the China connection has me a little sketched out. I was reading a forum post (can't remember where) about a disgruntled customer who bought a new HP saw only to wear it out in about a year. He said the metal was sub-standard and all the tolerances got blown in short order. I'm heartened by previous posters in this thread who are happy with the equipment and am hopeful they have rectified any quality problems they may have had.

I'm not sure how much life my LS-12 has left. It's already older than I am (that's really old) and held together with bailing wire and sundry make-shifts from the Ace Hardware particle drawers. I would love to place my order to HP, but would feel even better if there were a few more positive reinforcements.

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2017, 10:10:02 PM »

I have had no trouble with the metal.  The half nuts have worn out and at a couple years old the front feed switch burned out last night causing the saw to run all night.  Other than the slow parts ordering these are the only issues I have had with it.

cabjunky

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2017, 04:03:58 AM »

Their split nut is probably their weekest link.  Cheap metal on the inserts, but cheap, and easy to replace.  Dont get me going on their slow shipping of parts.  Overall satisfied with their quality and design.  I have a 24 inch saw.

Slabbercabber

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2017, 05:32:27 AM »

A bad shutoff switch will destroy the split nuts on any machine.  These switches carry a lot of current and The shutoff causes an inductive arc.  A switch that is rated to carry this load is pretty expensive so manufacturers typically use a switch rated for the current but not the arc.  You will save yourself money and aggravation in the long run by replacing with something more robust.  I am lucky to have been able to get used parts where I worked.  My saws have always been equipped with limit a switch and heavy duty relay.  A motor rated switch is reasonably priced and far better than stock.

Tippin8609

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2017, 01:11:08 PM »

Mike, I am new to this forum but have been cutting for years. I own seven saws, but my husband and I have been buying and refurbishing equipment for the past ten years. My two favorite saws are a fourteen inch 1964 Highland Park and a 18 in. 1970’s Highland Park. I also run the lapidary shop for our rock club, which has five saws- a brand new (12 months) Highland Park 14 auto feed, an old Lortone 14in.,  another older Highland park 18in. and a couple trim saws. We decided on a Highland Park for the workshop’s new saw because of the easy set-up for beginners, and my love of the efficiency and dependability of the older Highland saws. We have had problems with this saw almost immediately, along with poor support from Highland Park. After speaking with Roland at Highland Park about the poor tech support he explained this  one of the reason’s they left and moved back to Ma. was difficulty in getting decent help. The saw bearings went out within seven months. We didn’t receive any type of manual with the saw, and when we inquired were told to go to Utube to read about it. We were also told by support it had sealed bearings. It does not, and they are not easy to access. It does not have a set screw( it has a place to put one) but we’re told it wouldn’t need one for years. Already an issue. We were told that the vise would need adjusting every three months( it does) and we could find the video on, yep, Utube. So we installed the new bearings, readjusted the vise, and so far so good. Unfortunately, if there had not been a good many experienced lapidariest AND machinist’s here it would have been very difficult to navigate. Love the old machines, probably at this point wouldn’t buy another new Highland Park. I hope this helps some,  Karen

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2017, 09:18:57 PM »

A bad shutoff switch will destroy the split nuts on any machine.  These switches carry a lot of current and The shutoff causes an inductive arc.  A switch that is rated to carry this load is pretty expensive so manufacturers typically use a switch rated for the current but not the arc.  You will save yourself money and aggravation in the long run by replacing with something more robust.  I am lucky to have been able to get used parts where I worked.  My saws have always been equipped with limit a switch and heavy duty relay.  A motor rated switch is reasonably priced and far better than stock.
The split nuts went bad long before the switch.  The switch went bad the night before my second post, my first post also mentions the split nuts.  Lortone uses a steel half nut and I have never had to replace one on their machines and I have used Lortone for 30 years.

BlueWood

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2018, 10:18:21 AM »

Just wanted to add my two bits on Highland Parks saws.  I bought a new Highland Park 24" saw in November 2017 and have been cutting pretty steady.  I really love the saw.  The only problems have been with me.

Downwindtracker2

« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2018, 01:40:08 PM »

When you buy  machines sourced  from China, you are at the mercy of the importers profit margin. KMS,a local tool store took over the importing of the General International line of woodworking tools. A better quality of Chinese than say Grizzly. Talking to one of guys, I've known them from when they started over 30 years ago, "We are going to do it right, 1/3 of the shipment will be parts."

Grizzly Tools have a pretty good rep for parts. Their warehouses take up blocks. I bought a well used wood shaper and needed some parts. It was over three months  for the next shipment to arrive.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 56 queries.