Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: More Techniques on Polishing Stones  (Read 1340 times)

Michael

More Techniques on Polishing Stones
« on: October 08, 2017, 05:44:03 PM »

I have been in Lap for a couple of years now, and have some nice, quite used equipment.  One thing I cannot come across is the polishing techniques.  I know that Leather and Hard Felt works best for most applications.  I came across one gentleman in the forum below that agrees that when using the Oxides, that you use the slowest RPM's on your polishing wheels. Does that apply to leather as well?  That is using the various Aluminum Oxides for Nephrite and Tiger Eye for example.  Is there ever a case when you need to exceed 1750 RPM's for any polishing, other than diamond wheels with 14000-50000?  My friend says he uses only 700-800 RPM's with Cerium Ox.  I think he is right.  What about Nepharite?  Any advice for polishing speed for best result with Rapid Polish? 

One other thing.  Using wood dowels for polishing?  Using an extender?  There are all kinds of recommendations out there:  Cherry Wood, Apple Wood, Black Oak.  I understand.  What is the best way to apply the polish to these dowels, or do you just apply it to the stone?  I know this sounds kind of Newbie like, but I never got a very good resource to find out the best procedure.  Thanks.  Mike

Redrummd

• Global Moderator
    • Art In Stone
Re: More Techniques on Polishing Stones
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 08:07:11 PM »

I cut and polish probably 100 different stones from Amethyst Sage to Zebra stone.  I use diamond NOVA wheels for almost everything.

Here is a link to one of my tutorials.

http://www.ebay.com/gds/Scuff-Polishing-Stone-Cabs-/10000000239316980/g.html

lithicbeads

• Administrator
Re: More Techniques on Polishing Stones
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 12:22:08 PM »

A moderately hard fine grained wood that does not have the grain rise in use is best.Ivorywood is apparently prewferred by those with deep pockets.Novas can polish almost everything if you experiment.Slow speeds with oxides is one key but proper wetness so that the polish tugs is most important.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.082 seconds with 28 queries.