Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How big does an opal need to be, to be a solitaire?  (Read 1297 times)

John Robinson

How big does an opal need to be, to be a solitaire?
« on: September 09, 2017, 10:11:02 AM »

I have two small opals, one clear crystal and the other a clear Mexican fire opal, they are beautiful, yet tiny at two and one and a half  Cts. I figured I would have to surround them with other stones, but I can not visualize how that could work well ...

rocks2dust

Re: How big does an opal need to be, to be a solitaire?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017, 10:46:21 AM »

I personally think that a simple setting (that doesn't distract from the stone itself) would be best. You start adding side stones or ornate metal design and the eye starts wandering. Just my preference.

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2017, 11:22:11 AM »

I think that use of contrast and color also work well to make one stone stand out.  You could see a precious opal having a black Onyx or black Jade accent stone on either side would actually push the focus onto the center stone.

55fossil

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2017, 12:27:01 PM »

Consider setting the opal into another stone. You can set a small opal into a black basanite or onyx which would really make the opal jump out..  neal

ileney

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2017, 11:05:26 AM »

I agree 55Fossil. Michael Boyd does beautiful, more complex work setting stones on top of or inside other stones. I think setting on top of or next to black jade or something like that could be stunning.

John Robinson

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2017, 04:50:37 PM »

Thanks! I have used abalone shell a couple of times with good effects, but it is weird - it seems to work for some stones but detracts from others(?)
I guess that is why they call it art...

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2017, 10:19:43 AM »

The problem with an abalone or mother of pearl would be introducing other colors and patterns and it competes with your opal.  You want something that doesn't compete but instead makes the other stone (in this case Opal) stand out.  That is the reason to go with a dark and consistent color as an accent to make the Opal the focus of your eye.

John Robinson

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2017, 12:34:33 PM »

Yes and abalone is difficult to use when facing some stones for maximum play of color.
Does opal in agate work? I sure hope so - I have some beauful agates that need homes, as well as the tiny opals that need homes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 42 queries.