Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: motor what to do  (Read 1866 times)

kenny

motor what to do
« on: March 11, 2015, 07:42:29 PM »

Here's the thing I have an old Beacon star 10" gone through everything and it is running great except for one thing. The motor is probably OEM a Dayton 1/3hp motor it runs pretty good for quite a while but then heats up after it cools off an hour or so, then it cuts again for a time I'm saying I get about 2hrs of cutting or maybe 1 1/2hrs before it trips again. I think a 1/2hp would solve the problem, trouble is I don't have one but I do have another 1/3hp and a 1hp . the 1hp is probably a lot of overkill but my only option without putting another 1/3 on it. I have checked all the things I can think of the blade isn't getting hot the bearings on the shaft and motor are good all spin free and don't wobble or grind the rock is not bound up. I think that the motor is just over the hill so what do you all think go with the other 1/3, look for a used 1/2(or buy a new one) or give the 1hp a try.

Minkos61

Re: motor what to do
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 11:17:29 PM »

If it was me I would pick up a new 1/2 hp  :coffee2:
Ernie

Itsandbits

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2015, 06:52:12 AM »

sometimes the overheat relays get tired too. The motor is going to warm up pretty good; is it rated continuous duty? Some are rated to 60C which is pretty warm so inspect and smell the windings; if they look or smell burnt it is probably tired; I have a tired one on my compressor too, it won't restart at 80lbs. but will at 60. A 1/2hp will give it some extra to get through a slightly binding area but can get you into more trouble too. My 10 in. has a 2.5 rated; at stall, motor on it which is why I can cut such long full height cuts with it.
rocks and people have a lot in common; one persons "leaverite" is anothers treasure

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2015, 08:28:38 AM »

A 1/2 horse continuous run should be fine. A bigger motor does seem like overkill. How are the bearings on the machine?

drnihili

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2015, 09:26:08 AM »

I ended up putting a 1hp on my 10 inch because it's what I had sitting around.  It seems to work fine and bogs down less than the old motor.  Is there a downside to using to strong a motor?  I know it eats more electricity, but it takes a lot of electricity to equal the cost of a new motor.

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2015, 02:18:21 PM »

It is hard to imagine bogging down a cabbing machine with a 1/2 horse motor unless the machine needs new bearings very badly.

drnihili

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2015, 03:14:51 PM »

Well now you've done it Frank, you've made me go and actually look at the motors! :LOLOL:

Turns out I was wrong.  The old one was a 1/4HP, the current one is 3/4HP.   Oh well, so much for memory.  :icon_scratch: :WEEEE:
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 39 queries.