Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Knife making questions from a beginner.  (Read 4353 times)

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
Re: Knife making questions from a beginner.
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2018, 03:12:05 PM »

I know Michael has much more experience with 325 especially since he recommended that I use it originally.  I used it on my first folder that didn't have a rear bolster and the lack of that 2nd bolster was the reason he said to use it and I agree it is perfect for those situations.  The setup time for me was about 5 seconds max but probably closer to 3 secs and it was locked in.  I think, since it uses a catalyst that if you were to let the catalyst dry more than I did the working time would be higher.  When I sprayed the catalyst on the scales I let then sit for about a minute before joining but this left the catalyst still a bit wet and may have caused my quick set time.

Redrummd

• Global Moderator
    • Art In Stone
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2018, 10:40:08 PM »

I will say that once the 325 "grabs" it is game over for moving the scale so you have to move fast and get it right.  The good news is if you maintain everything oil free (I wear nitrile gloves) you should never have a scale failure.  I have done over 2,800 knives with this adhesive and ZERO have come back to be re-attached.  You need to discard it once you get 3 months past the expiration date.   I have had a few in shop failures and every time it was with expired 325.   zoro.com has been reliable for shipping non-expired 325.  Don't even think about Ebay - I did early on and at least 70% of the bottles I was shipped were expired 325 or the expiration date section of the label was cut off.

Titewad

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2018, 06:26:59 PM »

I googled Loctite 325 and it says: Single component with 24 hr. cure time.  What is this catalyst that you use?  And does the 325 work all by itself without failures?

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2018, 08:10:24 PM »

Without going out to the garage to check I think the kicker was 7075 and comes in a small spray can.

Redrummd

• Global Moderator
    • Art In Stone
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2018, 10:51:35 PM »

Loctite 325 Speedbonder structural adhesive is a high temperature, two step acrylic, no mixing required transparent brown adhesive. Loctite 325 is solvent resistant and, when used in conjunction with Loctite Primer 7075, forms flexible bonds on gaps up to 0.04 Inch.

ZEKESMAN

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2018, 12:08:04 PM »

So I do lapidary and knifes, I don't see them as being a good mix. Why do I want a slippery breakable scale on my knife? help me out here.  Vic

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2018, 02:59:16 PM »

Same reason someone would want a lladro porcelain figurine for the looks, rarity, elegance.  Why pull an ugly plastic handle pocket knife out when I can bring out a beautiful Dino bone handle knife or something similar.  You make the knives based on use just like you would with regular knife production.  If someone is planning on being a survivalist with it and using it as a hammer/Axe/thowing weapon then obviously direct them towards something that will stand up to the abuse.  If you have a business person who is looking some the finer things in life and is either buying it as a collector or will treat the knife with respect then it is perfect to make a blade with elegant unique scales of stone.  There are plenty of stone offerings that put up with daily use on a knife without breaking or failure.  Stones like Durmorierite and Jade take a huge amount of abuse without fail.  If you put Lapis or Dino on the blade then the buyer should be told that the knife is make with material that won't handle severe use.  They is a place for both types of knives.  I guarantee that Michael's customers are not disappointed in their choice.  I have been carrying a Dino bone handled pocket knife for over 2 years and use it regularly to cut twigs, small branches and other odd jobs without any problem.

Redrummd

• Global Moderator
    • Art In Stone
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2018, 10:52:33 PM »

My knives are used in many kitchens every night - In fact one done with Dinosaur Gem Bone.  My wife and I use a Jade set every day.

These sets are all in prominent display when in use and after cleaning as true art that can be used.  In fact there were 47 Jade artists who had works accepted for the World Wide Jade Symposium in 2014.  I was the only utilitarian artist whose work was displayed.

In fact, I have now finished over 2,900 knives and I have never had one returned for a scale coming off.  I can only think of two who broke scales in drops out of all the knives finished so far and those both did not have a rear bolster.  Another broke a scale trying to take it off a switchblade.  He was trying to put in a stronger spring.....  :dontknow:

Titewad

« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2018, 01:58:47 PM »

Have completed the first knife and have three comments to make.
1. Spectacular.
2. Picture doesn't do it justice.
3. Everyone that sees it, wants one.
Now I've got a dozen more to go.  Also found out about a quarry south of here that has Wisconsin Jade.  I need some.

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2018, 07:54:43 PM »

Very nice.  You did a great job on your first one!   :WEEEE:
Robin

Jhon P

« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2018, 08:44:03 AM »

Micheal, could you use the 325 without the speed bonder, I am not in a rush to start grinding. It can wait 24 hrs or more. The one I am working in snow I glued the scales on s week before I started work on it

southerly

« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2018, 02:36:48 AM »

Nice knife, looks great.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 51 queries.