Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rolling mill?  (Read 1958 times)

Bluetangclan

Rolling mill?
« on: May 11, 2017, 05:58:10 AM »

I am working on building a small shop and one thing I want to do is make my own back plates as that's obvious where a lot of cost comes from. A friend of mine suggested sterling silver utensils and using a rolling mill. I have looked online at amazon and saw the cheap ones at several hundred which have mixed reviews and then the more expensive with better reviews. If mostly what I am going to be doing is flattening silver utensils and reforming scrap metal, what kind of mill do I need or is recommended? Note I am not mass production, this is still a hobby.

olgguy

Re: Rolling mill?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2017, 01:44:48 PM »

Silverware has a lot of stress in it from the original stamping. Anneal and hammer flat first and anneal again, then roll a little at a time for three or four passes then anneal again etc.

ileney

Re: Rolling mill?
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2017, 08:48:12 PM »

I bought a relatively inexpensive rolling mill and regretted it. You are better off spending a bit more to get the better quality. I think the nice one at the Jewelry studio where I take classes is a Durston and it works very well. Of course, it's very important to frequently anneal the silver you are rolling and often, to put the item being rolled between two sheets of copper to protect the rollong mill's drums.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 32 queries.