Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Stone grain  (Read 2655 times)

Pebblehopper

Stone grain
« on: February 12, 2017, 09:21:52 AM »

Does Green Grossular Garnet (aka Transvaal Jade) have a grain as real jades and serpentine have? Thanks. John

rocks2dust

Re: Stone grain
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 11:20:44 AM »

Generally, no. The caveat is that grossular in its massive form can be intermixed with other minerals (e.g., Californite/Happy Camp which is a mix of grossular and vesuvianite) that can result in mixed hardnesses that can appear to have grain/fibrous structure.

Massive minerals (i.e., larger pieces that are formed of aggregates of micro-crystals, rather than individual visible crystals) also can appear to have grain if long crystals are oriented in certain directions. Although garnet crystals are stubby and in massive form do not tend to line up in one, grain-like direction, tiny crystals can pop out if one is too aggressive with grinding/sanding. This is not the same as the fibrous grain in some jades, however.

Pebblehopper

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2017, 06:20:21 PM »

Thanks R2D, It's going to be an interesting study of the differentiation between jade, serpentine, and grossular. John

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2017, 06:30:39 PM »

The hard , mohs 5 , Washington serpentines are not easily mistaken for jade by the experienced. The soft serps would fool no one . The dioppside mixes are the ones that fool people all the time as they mimic hard jades very well at times. Grossular comes in so many mixtures and variations that it is always suspect especially as pumpellyite can be a perfect mimic.Veins of soft jade in any of these stones is a real pain as the undercutting is awful. Fun stuff and even more fun tofind.

Pebblehopper

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2017, 07:46:34 AM »

Thanks Lithicbeads...I haven't done any internet searches for jade, serp, grossular knowledge yet but do you have any recommendations for books or sites that you found to be significant? Living in SW Wa. state I understand that there is this type of material in the N Cascades but have made it up there only once and that was for Listwanite (another one of my favorites). Otherwise my "finds" have been at rock shows, and club activities. Thanks. John.

Ryaly2dogs

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2017, 06:24:14 PM »

The Transvaal Jade slab I am working with is quite hard; I've cut several variable sized cabs from it and it does require a bit more patience.  It has a swirly texture like those old 1970s acrylic bowling balls, which implies is underwent some mixing/flow during its formation/cooling.

Just a data point to consider in your review of responses.

David.

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2017, 08:34:05 PM »

Grossular and vesuvianite are usually as hard as quartz. They are probably always mixed in Washington with a bit of pumpellyite which is the same hardness. I know of no resources. Us old collectors learned together in the field and in the UW and Western Washington University libraries. Our developed instincts were pretty much confirmed by  a scientist who tested many of our pieces with x-ray diffraction technology. Buying grossular  etc from Poobas on ebay is an inexpensive and easy way to get very nice rough. He listened well to  more knowledgeable folks when he started and he is a very honorable seller. I have bought thousands of dollars of rough from him and I have absolutely no complaints.The rocks will be a bit darker than pictured is the only thing to remember. He tests and tlls the hardnesses on his cut rough. Want no undercutting go to the diopside mixes. You can often get wonderful botryoidal jade stones from his diopside mixes, the best deal on ebay .

Pebblehopper

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2017, 09:45:08 PM »

David, thanks for your comment...now I excited to get started on that Transvaal.

Lithicbeads, what a wealth in your suggestion...I'm on it! Would you confirm the sellers name on ebay. I'm not finding anything under that even in advanced search. Thanks

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
Robin

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2017, 07:05:23 AM »

Sorry. He had a very nice inexpensive grossular on buy it now so buy it I did.

Pebblehopper

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2017, 11:26:00 AM »

Hummingbirdstones: Thanks for the direction...got it now.

Lithicbeads: Wow, Poobas is quite the Jade "honeyhole".

Ryaly2dogs

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2017, 05:46:29 PM »

Dear Hummingbird:  Thanks for the poobasjade tip; nice page with some tantalizing items.

:blob1:

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2017, 05:53:38 PM »

You're welcome!   :icon_sunny:
Robin

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2017, 09:24:43 AM »

Remember that almost all Washington jades are very hard to sand and polish with the diopside mixes being the exception. The grossulars are usually fine.

Pebblehopper

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2017, 09:34:31 AM »

Thanks lithicbeads, does that include the "Washington Blue Jade" and cats eye too?
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 55 queries.