Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Greenhorn from N. Arizona. Greetings, All!  (Read 1895 times)

AgateLicker

Greenhorn from N. Arizona. Greetings, All!
« on: March 10, 2019, 09:11:00 AM »

Good morning!

I'd like to take a moment to introduce myself. Throughout my life I have always admired material in the rough, never considering the possibility of some day being a slayer of stones. A few years ago my husband and I settled in Northern AZ and I found myself inundated with numerous varieties and plentiful bounty abound and decided that yes, I am smart enough, I am skilled enough and I am BRAVE enough to put blade to stone and do less slaying than releasing.

So here we are. I spent a few hours poring over this here lovely site and realized there's already a warm seat waiting for me and all I need to do is claim it. Thus, AgateLicker is born.

I am a springy 28 years old (young enough to lose some fingers, hardy har) and currently working humbly on a 7" Skil tile saw.

That said, here is my Very First Cut on a biscuit of local stuff I like to call Abra Agate. Never found any info on other's sourcing or using it, which is all the better for me.

The second and third images are of a preform I roughed out from a slabette off the same biscuit (sadly fractured). Usually the mass is primarily white, sometimes showing reddish plumes but the Rock Gods were smiling down when I plucked this baby from the bucket. It showcases a nice orange spot, some yellow wispies and a small amount of lavender at the base.

Hook, line and sinker, guys...

[Img src="https://i.postimg.cc/qMMDVtKk/20190309-141728.jpg"]http://[/img]
[Img src="https://i.postimg.cc/9fVqK94b/20190309-164200.jpg"][/img]
[Img src="https://i.postimg.cc/v8p7Xcvq/20190309-164217.jpg"][/img]

Jhon P

Re: Greenhorn from N. Arizona. Greetings, All!
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2019, 09:15:27 AM »

Lots of cool rock to collect in Arizona.
Welcome from Nevada. A great group of people here.

Stonemon

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2019, 09:26:24 AM »

Welcome from Western Oregon.
We love pictures so thsnks for showing us yours!

Bill

Michael

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2019, 10:52:28 AM »

Welcome!  From your neighbor in southern Arizona.  AZ lends to the attraction of working with stone.  I guess it's because this state is 80% rock!

Enchantra

• Head Bead Nut
  • Administrator
  • Insane Bead Woman
    • Enchanted Regalia
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2019, 11:51:31 AM »

Welcome from Central AZ!   :headbang:

Lots of gorgeous rock around here.
In January, travel to Quartzsite AZ and get yourself a lot of great material.
There are also rock hounding trips!

AgateLicker

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2019, 12:00:44 PM »

Thanks,  guys! It's nice to fall in with like minds.

I'm looking into joining the "local" G&M club. They host guest speakers, have a fully equipped shop and on occasion go on field trips.

It's been a treat hounding around locally, coming from the inland PNW and growing up with a more limited scope of geologic legacy.

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2019, 01:42:04 PM »

Welcome to the forum. Looks like you're off to a good start.

You should join the club - we'll see you there.

AgateLicker

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2019, 02:11:39 PM »

Thanks, Vince! I was snooping and got a little giddy finding that you and your partner are just down the road, so to speak.

It would be awesome to join up and get a little more social about "it all". 

There's a lot about the local geology and geomorphology I've puzzle pieced together just from being out and about, but getting around others in the area who also take an interest is potentially exciting. Maybe I can fill in some blanks, hah! Heavens knows we have a lot going on in the area...

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2019, 04:47:44 PM »

Welcome to the forum, Agatelicker!

Lots of great folks here who are helpful and knowledgeable.  Fun to see you're literally "down the road" from us!  You should definitely join the club.  They're planning trips to Rodeo Flats for agate and Dobell Ranch for pet wood in the near future.  We're also hosting the RMFS at our annual show this year, so there's lots of hustle and bustle happening.

Looking forward to seeing you at the next meeting (first Saturday of each month, except August (our show)).  If you don't already have it, here's the link to the club's website:  https://www.prescottgemmineral.org/

You can come to a meeting as a guest and sign up there, too, if you want.
Robin

AgateLicker

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2019, 06:19:59 PM »

Looking forward to learning a lot when and where I can. Just browsing the site is enjoyable, seeing the nuggets of wisdom, words of caution, tales of days gone by... Seems like good comraderie and fairness are pillars in this community!

Fingers crossed I'm able to make it down to the meeting. It's been on the list for a while, yet things come up and priorities get shuffled, as I'm sure you understand. Maybe April will be my month to make it happen!

That Rodeo Flats is delectable. Not a trip to miss...

VegasJames

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2019, 10:54:46 PM »

Welcome to the forum. Just got back last night from collecting down at Burro Creek in Northern Arizona. Beautiful country down there.

AgateLicker

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2019, 09:05:10 AM »

VegasJames,

So the rumors of road blockages are unfounded I see! Glad to hear you're a fan of our sublime sanctuary. I've yet to make it out to Burro (shameful, I know...) but am able to collect Pastelite-esque vein agate and Obsidian pebbles from the till in our little cut, so I'm not exactly starving for material. But boy, oh, boy... what I'd do to be roaming and rummaging for that purple...

Hummingbird,

Did you and your husband run a lapidary shop in Chino next to Kevin Larsen's real estate office?

VegasJames

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2019, 12:02:36 PM »

VegasJames,

So the rumors of road blockages are unfounded I see! Glad to hear you're a fan of our sublime sanctuary. I've yet to make it out to Burro (shameful, I know...) but am able to collect Pastelite-esque vein agate and Obsidian pebbles from the till in our little cut, so I'm not exactly starving for material. But boy, oh, boy... what I'd do to be roaming and rummaging for that purple...

Hummingbird,

Did you and your husband run a lapidary shop in Chino next to Kevin Larsen's real estate office?

They say the purple has been pretty much picked out but I found a spot with a lot of the purple agate and big chunks of it. Actually I lucked out because I was joining others from our gem club down there. So I left here about 4:30 in the morning figuring I had plenty of time to get there before they went searching. Figuring I still had a couple of hours I stopped at a side road and looked around. As I was walking back towards the truck a whole caravan went driving by, which turned out to be the club members. I had no idea where they went so I guessed, and guessed wrong. Worked out though a they did not do very good and did fantastic on my own. About 6 hours alter a couple of other latecomers found me and I later joined them to collect some pastelite.

Also found a lot of obsidian including some large chunks, a fulgurite, schorl in quartz, some other agates and japsers including a dark blue chalcedony and a small pointed what I think is obsidian but some people think is some type of gemstone due to its structure. So a great trip.

VegasJames

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2019, 12:09:24 PM »

Jax sending greetings from Burro Creek

DSC01572 by James Sloane, on Flickr

I will start a thread on the trip.

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2019, 07:46:47 PM »

No, not us.  We work strictly out of our house.   :glasses9:
Robin
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 55 queries.