Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rhodonite with Tephroite  (Read 2695 times)

auscarver

Rhodonite with Tephroite
« on: September 29, 2018, 03:45:23 AM »

Last weekend I had the pleasure of fossicing a location for rhodonite that has never been mined, my good friend Southerly visited great rough found and great company, rhodonite is very common in my region, to find it with blue green tephroite is a first.

lithicbeads

• Administrator
Re: Rhodonite with Tephroite
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2018, 07:07:36 AM »

Wow , how unexpected. I recently found a reference for a deposit of rhodonite here mixed with rhodochrosite.It was a scientific reference and the analysis was properly done.Thanks!

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2018, 07:37:09 AM »

That is so cool!  I have never heard of tephroite.  Had to look it up.  What a great find!
Robin

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2018, 10:43:56 AM »

A friend rockhound that i collect with is from Eureka and a year or 2 back he gave me some Rhodonite with Yellow also running thru it.  It was quite unusual and I had never seen yellow before in my Rhodonites.  Not sure what the yellow is though, he did collect it in the Northern CA/Southern OR area.

gemfeller

• Art Cut Gems
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2018, 12:18:03 PM »

irockhound, the yellow is probably spessartite garnet.  I think the same yellow occurs in some Australian rhodonites and I have a very nice sample that came from Italy.

auscarver

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2018, 12:36:38 PM »

Thanks great feedback, yes I do believe the yellow is related to spasatine garnet, I have also found it in orange, we went nephrite jade hunting on the Sunday and did find some good pieces in the morning, a little fish hook I carved quite a few years back from the deposit we went to.

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2018, 08:37:48 PM »

Great jade ! Yellow and pink spessartine garnet is common in Washington rhodonite as well and is well described in the scientific literature.

BlueWood

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2019, 02:02:52 PM »

Love the rock map of Australia.  Would love to rock hound there some day.

Ryaly2dogs

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2019, 04:47:13 PM »

I echo the coolness of this associated mineral.   In SoCAL rhodonites, I too have seen and sliced up the yellow colocated mineral.  Thanks for calling it out as spessartine garnet.  Not to get off topic, but exactly what happens to the garnet?  Does it essentially melt and get redistributed in the rhodonite as a color smear?

VegasJames

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2019, 05:00:53 PM »

Very beautiful material.

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2019, 08:33:35 AM »

The spessartite that replaces the rhodonite are formed as crystal trains as the geologists here call them. The yellow looks monolithic but is actually  a series of tiny discrete manganese garnet crystals.At times we get garnet trains in clear quartzite here. The quartzite is very clear , almost as water clear as a clean quartz crystal and pieces I have seen go over a ton at times. The garnet trains are thin and spiral like the dna helix .They are yellow and pink  and are usually accompanied by perfect pyrite cubes of various sizes. I have seen a couple pound piece like this sell for $10,000 in the field. Spectacular and probably unique and so rare.

Ryaly2dogs

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2019, 11:53:20 AM »

Wow, now that makes for a real field find.  It does sound spectacular.  I'd just love to lean down and pick something up and have somebody offer $10K for it.  Heck, drinks would be on me all day!

:)

Antonis333

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2021, 07:33:05 AM »

Last weekend I had the pleasure of fossicing a location for rhodonite that has never been mined, my good friend Southerly visited great rough found and great company, rhodonite is very common in my region, to find it with blue green tephroite is a first.

Incredible ''Australian'' shape (2nd image)!  :icon_thumright:
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.075 seconds with 52 queries.