Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Move Has Begun!  (Read 2359 times)

Enchantra

• Head Bead Nut
  • Administrator
  • Insane Bead Woman
    • Enchanted Regalia
The Move Has Begun!
« on: September 01, 2014, 10:09:52 PM »

Today Peter and I made two trips over to the new house with boxes from the storage room at the rental we are still living in.  The move has finally begun!   :toothy10: :toothy10:  We won't be doing a complete move in until all the inside work on the house has been done.  That is at least three weeks away yet.

The Guest room at the new house is the only room not getting painted so we stashed all the boxes in there for now.

vitzitziltecpatl

Re: The Move Has Begun!
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 07:09:20 PM »

Congratulations, best wishes, condolences, and good luck! Seems like all those are in order at some time during a move.

Robin and I both hate moving, and last time we did it we had over a ton of rocks we didn't have for the previous move. But it is still soooo wonderful to get into a place you really like. We hope your move goes so smoothly you won't even remember it after you're in your new house.

Enchantra

• Head Bead Nut
  • Administrator
  • Insane Bead Woman
    • Enchanted Regalia
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 11:00:33 PM »

Thanks!
Tomorrow the work inside the house begins.  I have an electrician starting at 6:30AM to work on putting in new circuits Peter wants. 
I have no way to brew any coffee at the place either right now!    :sad5:

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 08:10:12 AM »

THERE IS ALWAYS A WAY FOR COFFEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Power inverter plugged into the 12v socket in your car.

MrsWTownsend

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 11:16:39 AM »

THERE IS ALWAYS A WAY FOR COFFEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Power inverter plugged into the 12v socket in your car.

I know right???

Pack up the whole frickin coffee pot and haul that puppy with you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Hot water through grounds over a paper towel for crying in a bucket!!!   :toothy12:

PhilNM

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 08:10:25 PM »

Cowboy coffee. Now that you're down here in the land of cowboys, it's time you learned. take a pot of water, get er boiling. take off the heat. Throw in a handful of grounds and a pinch or 2 of salt. Wait 5 minutes. Crack an egg into the pot, stir. The egg'll grab the grounds, and you can now pour off a nice steaming hot cowboy strength cuppa!

Enchantra

• Head Bead Nut
  • Administrator
  • Insane Bead Woman
    • Enchanted Regalia
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2014, 08:34:46 AM »

Eeewwwwwwwww! 
For starters I have a mild allergy to egg whites...

Nah...I'm going to try to convince Peter to buy me a new Keurig as this one tends to leak sometimes...
So I can put the new one at the new house, leaving the old one here till we move...
However we don't have refrigeration yet at the new place.  So I have no way of storing good cream for my coffee.  (yes I'm spoiled)  Peter and I are working on a second refrigerator this weekend hopefully, if I feel up to a short trip.  I'm a bit sore right now from surgery.

Enchantra

• Head Bead Nut
  • Administrator
  • Insane Bead Woman
    • Enchanted Regalia
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2014, 05:02:54 PM »

Peter got to the new house this morning to find that our mailbox no longer existed, it was in several pieces and sheered off at it's base - which is an aluminum pole set in cement. Yes the same mailbox I put in with Gina a month ago.

Turns out one of our neighbors has a 16 year old daughter who apparently needs to learn how to drive. Our neighbor thankfully is going to make it right and replace the mailbox. Peter said the girl was in tears. So it either just happened before Peter got there, or her father instilled the fear of G-d in her before he had her apologize to Peter.

Then....

I am laughing at the idiocy of my landlord and so glad I'm moving! I'm so glad we already have a bed at the other house and a mini fridge because we are going to need it. The AC just died here at the rental place! I called the landlord and as always he sounded less than impressed about getting a call. It's only the second time I've ever called him with a problem, he should be happy. If he had the AC unit maintained like I asked back earlier this year, it wouldn't have just failed on him now. The unit is over 14 years old and when I asked him earlier this year if he had ever done any maintenance on it he said, "Oh it doesn't need maintenance." Well now he's going to pay the piper because we are leasing this place till the end of October and the AC is now dead and by law he has to fix it or replace the unit or we can break the lease agreement early.

He came over this afternoon, looked at the unit and said, "Oh it probably just needs freon."  He then said he would call someone and have them come out here to look at it.  It's 5PM and no one has showed up.  So I'm packing my car and joining Peter over at the new house since at least we have AC there, a bed, running water, electricity, and a small dorm fridge to put a few things into.  He was there all day today babysitting a contractor and then installing the new blinds we ordered in for the windows while I stayed here and packed.

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2014, 07:13:31 PM »

Who knew an AC unit kicking the bucket in Phoenix could be good news! Yeah, don't let that guy off the hook. Give him the choice of whether to fix it immediately or let you out of there. If there are any other items he needs to address just make a list and maybe he'll figure it's less trouble and expense to let you go.

We had a situation with our former landlord when we found this place that let us get out of the lease early. Hopefully yours will work out the same way.

Enchantra

• Head Bead Nut
  • Administrator
  • Insane Bead Woman
    • Enchanted Regalia
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2014, 11:18:38 PM »

I've decided that if he does not get someone there by Monday that I am contacting the Arizona housing authority.  I'm sure that they will be more than happy to light a fire under his rear end.  With the current situation, Peter and I decided that we are making September 30th our last day at the house and will have it empty and cleaned by that point so if there any problems we can walk away with a clear plan of action.

I have asthma, and AZ dust storms and no AC combined are pretty nasty as I found out this afternoon while I was busy packing up my studio.  So having no AC is also a health threat. 

Enchantra

• Head Bead Nut
  • Administrator
  • Insane Bead Woman
    • Enchanted Regalia
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2014, 10:11:55 PM »

Well the landlord actually showed up at the house today - twice.
First time was unannounced, he was just lucky we were there.  He went and observed the AC unit and found that the fan isn't running and it looks like the motor is shot (Gee you think??).  So he said he was still trying to get ahold of someone, kept saying everyone was busy and couldn't get out to fix it (I call bullcrap when I see it and that's definitely a line of bullcrap).  He then called my phone tonight to let me know he was coming out to the house to go into the backyard and get some information off the unit.  Fine.  We'll see if he does anything about it or keeps dragging his feet.

Bentiron

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2014, 04:31:26 PM »

Arizona has a housing authority? The things you learn when someone new moves to Arizona.
It's been 20 years since my wife and I have moved, I was in fairly good condition compared to now, and it was arduous enough then. We went from 1,600SF to 2,400SF. In the intervening years both of our mothers have passed and in that process we have gained two more households of "precious" items that "just can't be disposed of. My son has a good idea, set the house on fire, then he and his brother can move on with a clean slab. One does tend to acquire a lot of stuff along the way, for me it tools and books, for my wife I guess it's just stuff. We have a lot of stuff. After my last fall I don't think I'll be moving much stuff if we do get another home in Chino Valley, I have way to much pain to life and tote much right now.

Enchantra

• Head Bead Nut
  • Administrator
  • Insane Bead Woman
    • Enchanted Regalia
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2014, 05:06:40 PM »

Yup, Arizona sure does have a housing authority!  http://www.azhousing.gov/ShowPage.aspx?ID=484&CID=11

Well my Husband is over at the rental place right now and apparently the Landlord has it fixed.  I was over there earlier and saw air conditioner parts spread over about 20 sq feet of yard around the air conditioner with tools so I knew he was working on it.  He must have realized he was in over his head and he actually called a professional in.  That's something surprising to both Peter and I as this guy wants to do everything himself because he's cheap.  However the damage is done.  Peter and I plan on being out at the end of the month anyways.  We are not going to continue to stay at a place where we feel heavy chested, and sick when we can come and stay at the new place and feel fine.  We are convinced the rental has mold someplace inside it and our money is on either the slab foundation is cracked and breeding the mold or it is in the ductwork.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 48 queries.