Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need to have slabs cut  (Read 1160 times)

ILMSteve

• Picks of Destiny
Need to have slabs cut
« on: July 19, 2018, 12:31:25 PM »

I cam across some Zodiaq Engineered stone by Dupont. They call it Corian Quartz. It has a Rockwell Hardness of >85 on the "M" Scale.

It is an interesting stone with an occasional clear "quartz-like" area and some scattered glitter of red and silver.

I found 4 pieces, 4" x 4" x just under an inch thick. I think they would make some great guitar picks.

My only problem is that I do not have a saw that can cut 4' x 4" x 3mm thick slabs from them.

I am not sure how the Rockwell M Hardness compares to the Mohs hardness scale but I suspect these slabs are pretty hard material.

From what I can see diamond sawblades are required for cutting.

Is there someone here who can slab them for me? How much would it cost? I would pay postage both ways.

20180719_135719.jpg
*20180719_135719.jpg (142.91 kB . 800x1067 - viewed 394 times)

Slabbercabber

Re: Need to have slabs cut
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 03:51:41 PM »

Corian is a soft material comprised of arcylic and aluminum trihydrate.  It is normally cut with a carbide tooth woodworking saw.  I believe it would gum up an abrasive blade in short order.  I suppose a slab saw could be fitted with a woodworking blade for the job.  You would still face the problem of grinding to a cab.  It is normally sanded dry with silicon carbide paper.  Again, in a power tool setting it will melt and gum the abrasive.

ILMSteve

• Picks of Destiny
Re: Need to have slabs cut
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2018, 03:07:45 PM »

Hi SC. I thought that as well and that has been my experience with Corian as well. I checked Dupont's material spec sheet and they advise installers to use diamond saws.

I have just figured out that I can try to cut it myself. I have a tile cutter and I will try it with a thin diamond blade. I should be able to cut it to the width I need. I don't know why I didn't think of this before I made the post but I will see if it is as they say.

I'll let you see how it turns out a a few weeks. I want to get a new blade first.

Thanks.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 31 queries.