Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Purple Feldspar and Actinolite sphere  (Read 1523 times)

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
Purple Feldspar and Actinolite sphere
« on: June 26, 2016, 01:09:16 PM »

Jhon this is the material I will try and pick up for you.  It is really solid and the Feldspar takes a great polish.  Obviously the Actinolite masses tend to have a polish but not high and more diffused.  The Howlite I can collect out here also works up real nice in a sphere.  I cut one and it looks like oriental pen work since I cut down till the veins almost disappeared, never saw it when starting the sphere but lucky it was there.

Jhon P

Re: Purple Feldspar and Actinolite sphere
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2016, 03:24:41 PM »

Chris was going to bring the crystal by today but haven't heard from him yet. I will show him the pictures.  Are you making spheres too?

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2016, 08:18:29 PM »

Both are very interesting but that is probably the best use howlite has ever been put to, beautiful piece.

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2016, 10:41:22 PM »

Not really doing any.  I purchased the motors and put together a frame etc to make a sphere machine based off an old friends sphere machine that they used to produce before they passed away.  Never got around to putting it together.  I have had the bug to lately, but I have so many other projects it is on back burner.  I did hand cut 2 small spheres by hand - roughing them out and then using pipe caps by hand with grit to finish them.  By hand of course I chose soft materials and did a cave onyx and howlite.  The ones I did 20 years ago were:
Icicle Agate, Blue Forest Wood, Flowering Onyx, Palm Root, Nipomo Marcasite, Nipomo Sagenite, Sierra Pelona Onyx, Silver Sheen Obsidian are the ones I remember and the 2 shown here, most were 2 to 2.5.

I do have an area with large chunks of Ilmenite that is very unusal material when cut.  The Dark and chrome looking areas remind me of the Widman / Statman lines of Meteorites.  On top of that it has high gold content.  I had some assayed and I'll have to find the assay report but It was either .4 or 4 ounces per ton.  Of course being in Iron the recovery would be a nightmare.  I made some cabs out of it and think it would make a cool sphere.  I found out about the Gold because I had a guy in our shop take a torch to it to see what happened when it melted I was thinking forging but had no idea about forging.  Anyway he took and blasted a huge cavity in the Iron and in the bottom pooled the gold which I first blew off as Pyrite and then remembered that Pyrite doesn't melt and had a different piece assayed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 35 queries.