Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cutting a small bead in half, through the hole, to make two tiny round cabs  (Read 5321 times)

carolminnich

Hi,
This may be a dumb question but I have a LOT of small gemstone beads [like 8mm round faceted or like rectangular flat beads].
I'd like to take my 4" Trim saw and cut them in half [through the hole] and then take my flatlap and smooth out the back to make cabs.

I've heard that you shouldn't cut all the way through, but rather cut around the bead to avoid a 'blow out' at the back.

I saw a video image showing a wire through the hole to hold it by, but that would leave a cab with a hole in the top. I want to cut off the hole by cutting through it.
How in heck do you hold a small bead while sawing through it....or do you just handhold it?  or dop it on the rounded side? :dontknow:

peruano

• Retired Zoologist

You ideally could dop (superglue and golf tees come to mind) both sides for extra precision and stability. Obviously a really thin and good blade would help, but going slow toward the end sounds about as effective as rolling the bead (near the end of the cut).  I cut a lot of small beach pebbles, but beads should be similar.  Tom 
Combining a love of bikes (pedal and otherwise) with hiking, hounding, lapidary, and the great outdoors

lithicbeads

• Administrator

The dop would be the way to go but the axis of the bead hole would have to be close to perfectly perpendicular to the long axis of the dop.

carolminnich

Thanks guys,

Peruano - Re the golf tees for daps.....I love that.  I was gonna donate my very old golf clubs to a yard sale but I think I'll take the tees out of the bag first [giggle]  I've heard of using heat from a torch on a nail to get the superglue off of a metal dap.  How do you get it off of a wooden tee without wrecking the bead?

Lithicbeads - re 'perfectly perpendicular to the long axis of the dop'  good point.

Thanks again,
Carol M

tetonartgallery

I cut 'em all the time just using my fingers to hold them. 

carolminnich

Hi Tetonartgallery,

Got any photos showing how you hold them and before and after??  or a weblink?
Carol M

peruano

• Retired Zoologist

removal from a golf tee without damaging the bead would probably involve damaging the tee, . . . or probably placing it in the sun would be enough heat to weaken the super glue, . . . but that glue is water soluble and it might take a few days of soaking to weaken it.  Because you are working with small sizes, it should be easy to dislodge the bead halves. 
Combining a love of bikes (pedal and otherwise) with hiking, hounding, lapidary, and the great outdoors

carolminnich

Actually, I have Kate Wolf Sticky Wax which works wonderfully and is totally reusable, that I use when I set small cabs in bezels.
It holds quite well and wouldn't be bothered by water, and to remove the sticky wax you just peel it off. 
I could but a blob on each side and hold the bead with 2 hands and if any of the residue sticks to the stone bead, alcohol cleans that smear off perfectly.  YEAH!!!
Thanks everybody for your terrific help.

jerrysg

Acetone dissolves super glue.  If you are going to use the golf tees, then soak them in acetone first to remove any paint so that they are clean when you soak off the super glue.

southerly

As noted by Jerry, acetone is the way to go to disolve super glue.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 45 queries.